Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some advice on LED lights. I put in LED strips in my saddlebag reflectors, and will be doing the sides of the trunk as well (thanks to the great help from SSGWF!)
I would also like to replace the 1156 and 1157's in the rear, does this save a lot of amps? Also, I see $15/ea at Cyclemax, does anyone have a less expensive place?

Driving lights: I want to also replace these with LED's, any recommendations?

Thanks for your input!

Pete Niska
Cook, MN

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
For the driving lights (I assume you mean in the lower fairing) you will need to change out the socket to accept a different bulb. This is a mod I plan down the road- convert it to an 1156 socket and a superbright amber LED.
Most of the 1156/57 replacement bulbs are not real bright, regardless of what the package says and they are directional. They put out very little light ot the side. I have apair in the trunk lights as they face directly backwards so they work good. As for others where you need light in a wider pattern, you will probably have to spend more and get a bulb with a higher number of surface mount LED's. Superbrightleds.com has some that I want as they are supposed to be REAL bright but the brightest ones are about $25 each.
So for the rear in the trunk the autoparts store ones are ok, for the rear down low you need something with a wider pattern.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
The bulbs that I have used on my 1100 are all off eBay and saving heaps in power and are fairly cheap ($4 ea at the most)

Attachments

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Here is the rounded type, where the trunk ones were flat type
The 'rounded type ' are known as "tower bulbs ". They come with as many as 45 smd LED which are very bright and emit light all the way around the bulb to use the reflector behind the bulb in the light. The more LEDs per tower the brighter the light output. You will need to measure the area to be sure you have room for the tower bulb you decide to get as the more LEDs per bulb the bigger the area needed to install it. Superbriteleds has measurements specs for their bulbs.

Yes LEDs will draw far less than incandescent bulbs.

For turn signal bulb change overs to LED bulbs you will need to change the flasher to one for LED bulbs to keep proper flash rates. The 1500 will require 2 flashers, 1 for turns, 1 for hazards. They are under the trunk. Doc1500 did a write up on which ones to get. He used LED strips rather than bulbs. (I can't search the forum with my phone so I can't post a link, sorry)

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I purchased my leds for my marker lights from superbrightleds.com side markers on the trunk take the smaller bulbs. I also made the led lights for radio, and hand controls, i installed LEDs in my dash, all except the two cruise indicators and the low fuel light, as these stay on.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
It may take some adaptation (like changing the harness and refitting a socket) but I did the cornering lamps on my '88 with some H1-style tower LEDs. The assemblies I used had a total of 120 SMD LEDs (3528 style); there's hardly anyway to look at the light and not see it on... Vktech on Amazon.com used to sell em at about $7USD each.

They seem to be a pretty fair savings over the 35W bulbs that were OEM (about 0.80A /v/ ~3A, respectively)

The 1156 and the bright side of the 1157 should be in the 2.1 Amp range - so LED conversion there would probably reduce that load by more than 50% (the dimmer side of the 1157 should be only 0.6A or so, but you'll still save half of that by moving to LED)

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
The factory bulbs are only 18w. They are a dual filament and only one is used, so if both were burning it would be 36w.
I think.
The tower bulbs are the ones I talked about earlier- they are nice. I had no clue they were so inexpensive on ebay- will have ot check there when I do mine.
Enjoy playing!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.