Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so, bike had a shoddy head gasket to begin with, did that (gonna have to redo, sounds like a valve is bent), but in order to avoid overheating I just want to have my fan always on, I know the charging system can accommodate. Or at the very least stick it on a manual toggle switch. How do I do this?

Same bike: 77 gl1000

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
Been through this in your previous threads. Just put a toggle in the ground wire.
However, again, even in Phoenix, if the system is working correctly, the manual control is unnecessary.

·
Registered
456 Posts
You can short the switch wire's to ground and the fan will come on and stay on. That's how I found out my switch was bad on my 1100. If you have a bent valve it's not going to run long and the fan is the last thing to worry about. Also about Head gaskets, OEM Honda are worth the money and the only way to go. I would pull the head that you think has a bad valve and make sure the valve's are OK before I ran the motor. JMO Bent valve will kill that motor or cause major problems that you can't fix.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Put a switch on to run the fans. No need to keep them on all the time but with the switch you can run them periodically

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can short the switch wire's to ground and the fan will come on and stay on. That's how I found out my switch was bad on my 1100. If you have a bent valve it's not going to run long and the fan is the last thing to worry about. Also about Head gaskets, OEM Honda are worth the money and the only way to go. I would pull the head that you think has a bad valve and make sure the valve's are OK before I ran the motor. JMO Bent valve will kill that motor or cause major problems that you can't fix.
The bend isn't extreme, it ran but there was a slight bit of noise coming from one of the heads, could need a tappet adjustment and I haven't checked for that that, but I've already ordered the valves and have new seals anyways so I may as well. They were super inexpensive. As for the gasket, I ordered some engine rebuild gasket set, although everything I needed didn't seem to be in there. Engine is in time, and seemed to not be before, or off s few degrees cuz it ran like garbage. As of right now, the starter gear seems to be the issue. Just sounds like it's spinning.

·
Registered
456 Posts
If the starter is bad and not spinning fast enough the Sprag gear will not engage in the motor and spin the engine over. A low Battery will cause that also. On the 1100 my starter worked but was not spinning fast enough, put a new one on and everything started working. I ordered it from Ebay just a cheap one from China. Make sure you get one with the right sprocket and teeth count . I think I used my old sprocket with the new starter. If your ordering gaskets from Saber Cycle, don't use there head gaskets, you will be doing the job again . Some of there stuff is OK and some not but it's cheap. Like buying tools from Harbor Freight. You might try syncing the carbs before you take the heads off. One carb out of sync will cause problems. I don't know for sure with out hearing it run. Bent valve you will know something is very wrong.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like the starter just spinning. Won't kick start either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts