Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, The battery died. Can't say I blame it. Due to my surgeries last year the bike just sat in the trailer all summer, and the winter prior to that and this past winter. So I went out to start it last week and it was dead as a doornail. Had about .8 volts. I pretty much knew it was not coming back but I took it out and jumped it with a good battery so the charger would at least get started and then took the jumpers off and let it go. Well the next morning it was red hot! And kind of swollen up!!!! I have seen that many times and it is usually a precursor to a battery explosion. So the charger got turned off and a big metal box I have got put over it and I just left if for several hours. It was still hot after that so I knew it was shorted internally and cooking itself. And yes, the charger was an automatic charger but it must not have ever read a full charge so it just kept charging. B the time the battery cooled to the point I felt it was safe to take the blast shield off it was at 10.5 volts. So one cell had shorted out. I pretty much figured this battery was toast anyway. So what do you guys use nowadays for batteries? This is a 98 1500SE

Rick

·
Administrator
26,145 Posts
I have had just as good of luck with WalMart batteries as anything else. They are made by Exide, the only other makers I know of are Deka and Yuasa so take your pick.

·
Premium Member
6,611 Posts
Well, The battery died. Can't say I blame it. Due to my surgeries last year the bike just sat in the trailer all summer, and the winter prior to that and this past winter. So I went out to start it last week and it was dead as a doornail. Had about .8 volts. I pretty much knew it was not coming back but I took it out and jumped it with a good battery so the charger would at least get started and then took the jumpers off and let it go. Well the next morning it was red hot! And kind of swollen up!!!! I have seen that many times and it is usually a precursor to a battery explosion. So the charger got turned off and a big metal box I have got put over it and I just left if for several hours. It was still hot after that so I knew it was shorted internally and cooking itself. And yes, the charger was an automatic charger but it must not have ever read a full charge so it just kept charging. B the time the battery cooled to the point I felt it was safe to take the blast shield off it was at 10.5 volts. So one cell had shorted out. I pretty much figured this battery was toast anyway. So what do you guys use nowadays for batteries? This is a 98 1500SE

Rick
I had 2 expensive deep cycle batteries that sat for more than a year. When I tried to use them one was good and the other acted much like yours. A friend who works for Interstate batteries offered to desulphate the bad one for me. I was not optimistic. A few days later he called me and said it was ready for me to pick up. It came right back to life as good as ever. Most battery places offer desulphating free of charge. Might be worth a try even if only for a spare.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not sure that AGM batteries sulfate like the older lead acid batteries did. In any case this is a motorcycle battery so it is not worth the money to try it plus I know it was shorted since it self heated for hours after being off the charger. Desulfating will not help that and can be dangerous to try. I got lucky it did not blow in the garage.

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
Odyssey PC680 AGM now since 2004, my first is still doing it's thing in my ex '85 GL1200 after serving 12 years in my '98 trike. I put a new one in the trike couple years ago, was gonna put a new on in the 1200 too but misplaced it so I re-purposed the 2004 veteran, sold the 1200, then one day found the errant battery, so now two in the trike … but 1 is enough.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at the Odyssey but a couple of things worry me. First is the side terminal kit looks real chincey for using reverse considering it is using the starter motor and the associated amperage. The other thing is along those lines with the relatively low 170 CCA starting amps. I am guessing you never had any issues with any of this considering you used it in the bike and the trike?

·
It aint rocket science
3,920 Posts
I looked at the Odyssey but a couple of things worry me. First is the side terminal kit looks real chincey for using reverse considering it is using the starter motor and the associated amperage. The other thing is along those lines with the relatively low 170 CCA starting amps. I am guessing you never had any issues with any of this considering you used it in the bike and the trike?
Normal starter motor current draw on the 1500 during cranking is 110-120A and when using reverse right around 80A.:geek:

·
Premium Member
6,611 Posts
I am not sure that AGM batteries sulfate like the older lead acid batteries did. In any case this is a motorcycle battery so it is not worth the money to try it plus I know it was shorted since it self heated for hours after being off the charger. Desulfating will not help that and can be dangerous to try. I got lucky it did not blow in the garage.
You're right. I should have read closer rather than just scan your post. :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Normal starter motor current draw on the 1500 during cranking is 110-120A and when using reverse right around 80A.:geek:
Thanks, That is information I can work with. I went out to my Mustang this morning and.......................... Yep, Battery is toast. It is going to be one of those years! I had to put a 130.00 battery in that today since I need it tomorrow for a doctors appointment.

·
It aint rocket science
3,920 Posts
I use one of these at work and at home mainly for cost which on sale is $69 and can't be beat. Key is not to overheat it and let cool between loads. Even on large truck battery banks (testing batteries individually) I don't go above 250A, cars 200A and MC batteries 75A. After using a few times you get a feel for what proper needle deflection on Volt scale is for new/good batteries and it quickly finds ones that are heading south, NG or the weak one in a bank.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know where you saw it for 69.00 but the cheapest I see that particular one is 88.00. Harbor freight has one for 55.00 and I will bet my next check it is exactly the same one in a different box.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
I used to have a home made one, had a bronze strap that was zig zagged to fit the space of the box.
it had a meter across that 'shunt' that read 0-300 amps.

wish I had never let it get away from me.

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
Nothing chincey about the angle adapters, they are steel with a plating, very rigid and stouter than the OEM battery cable ends. The PC680 is rated differently, will survive 400 discharges of 80% too. Pulse (5 seconds) Hot Cranking Amps @ 520 amps. I know one fella uses a PC680 in a '80s 5.0 Mustang.

I see they can be had for $128 & change now, I got mine on a sale from a 4WheelOffRoad place for about $100 a few years ago, the first one I bought in 2004 was just over $100 then. I do use a maintainer intended for AGM batteries … as well as a smart charger that goes into maintain mode at full charge. … if needed. Not the old school dumb chargers which I have too. I used to buy regular wet cell batteries, about every 2 or 3 years.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have the HF one and it works just fine. I checked the meter against my old Sun VAT-40 and a fluke clamp meter and it was pretty much spot on. YMMV
Throw on a 20 or 25% coupon and Bob's your uncle.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Another Odyssey lover. I have had mine in my 1500 for 8 years now and it is still going strong. I even killed it twice by leaving the key on ACC by mistake. Charge it back up and it still cranks the bike like the day I put it in. I wish they make one for my 1800. One would defiantly go in when my current battery gives up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts