Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What do you recomend, is there something out there that is better than the original speakers?

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

I, like others here, have gone to the Polk db501 and db401 speakers. A few other modifications like eliminating a failed aftermarket balance control brough suprizingly good results.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

$113.90 for 2 pair +$89.90 in shipping = $204 :cheesygrin:
Here in Norway the prize is $430 for 2 pair. So now i just have to wait on the mailman. Im alo waiting for superbrace to my fork from ebay :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

Funny! I'm running the polks too! I have a small 4 channel amp running everything and it sounds great. Polks sound awesome and here's the best part, they're marine certified.

Edit: I did want to say that the amp I'm running was purchased based on size and sounds very very good. It's small enough to mount behind the passenger back rest so it takes up nearly nothing for trunk space. If you do a search on eBay for "Phoenix digital 4 ch 300w amplifier", you can pick them up for about $55 shipped and everything.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
imported post

Do you have to weatherproof the speakers? Also, will the stock sound system work with the Polks?

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

As above the Polks are marine certified and tollerate water and UV quite well. If you ensure that the fabric grille cloth is replaced when you install them the UV and WQater exposure will also be greatly reduced - so no, those particular speakers won't require water proofing (grille cloth can be replaced with a high-quality sheer curtain fabric - that'll be UV stable and keep hevy water and sand out of the cone areas.

The OEM stereo can work these directly -- the OEM speakers and stereo are matched at 3-ohms impedance... the Polks are 4-ohms. Driving one set of the Polks directly works well withou much compromise -- the Fader can be modified to run 2-sets of the 4-ohm speakers, or you can run the sets in parallel (2-ohm speaker load) and use the crappy wiring to account for the additional 1-ohm of load (works quite well indeed).

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

Here's a question, I have several buddies that ride HD baggers, all of them have bag mounted speakers, pointing inwards. Has anyone done this to their GW?

I was looking at the bags on my 1500 and there are even little recessed sections where a 6X9 would fit perfectly. Any thoughts?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.