Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , new to this forum . I recently purchased my first gold wing and am having trouble with the starter. I’ve replaced relays and we think it’s the starter. My question.. where to buy? Partzilla is about $700, but I see many others under 200? Any info is much appreciated.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,200 Posts
That starter is usually tougher than nails,
my '02 with 115,000 miles is still running strong with no mntc on it at all.

What tests have you done so far?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Honda mechanic supposedly did all the tests and it points to the starter. I’m just wondering where to buy and why such a difference in price. ?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Don’t fall into the cheap route or you will be doing the job again,got no idea where the best price would be but I would take it off and take it to a starter place and get it repaired,have you cleaned the starter button.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ll ask him. Just getting one click but everything else tests fine supposedly . Could the button make it just “click”? Thanks for responses

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Starter buttons are a weak point,they get dirty from age,not saying it is issue but eliminate it with some spray into the housing or pull it off and cleane it,does the headlight dgo off when the button is pressed,?

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
I’ll ask him. Just getting one click but everything else tests fine supposedly . Could the button make it just “click”? Thanks for responses
Depends on what clicks. If it's not the solenoids but the relays that turn off during starting then it could be the switch. Many reasons why the starter might not work, the starter itself being the least likely.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
I really doubt the starter is bad enough to need replacing. Unless you hooked jumper cables to it from the family Buick and let it spin over for a very long time without let up. Never had starter problems with a Gold Wing since I sold my 1100 Gold Wing. If by chance the starter is bad I would take it to my alternator rebuilder that has kept the alternators in my old 1500s going strong. for a check up. If he could not fix it, I would trust a used factory Honda starter before anything else.Just have it checked over first. Seems like there is a ground bar on the 1800s that has caused problems with some from time to time. I have heard of people driving Gold Wings on salty streets in the winter that could cause problems.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Be absolutely certain you have a clean AND tight connection on your battery.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Of coarse, the battery has been tested as good.under a load test.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
As the others have said be careful before replacing the starter. There has been at least 2 bikes on this forum that had the same symptoms and were ready to replace the starter. After some troubleshooting it turned out to be a bad ground cable. Easy to test for that problem. Just take a battery jumper cable and jump from the battery negative to good metal ground on the engine block. If it starts you know the engine/starter is not grounded. Failing starters can fail suddenly but more likely will act up for a period of time before they die. It depends on the failure.

The second test to assure the starter has failed is a bit harder. It requires you slide the left bag out just far enough to get to the B solenoid. At the B solenoid find the battery cable that goes to the starter. Run a battery jumper cable from that terminal to battery positive BEING SURE THE BIKE IS IN NEUTRAL. If the starter engages it is not bad.

When you get done report back for the Guys to help you farther.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Make sure your mechanic is familiar with changing the starter on an 1800.

The gear on the starter has to properly mesh with the reverse idler gear or it will break the gear and the engine has to come out of the frame to replace it.$$$$.

Under no circumstances should he pull the starter into the engine using the mounting bolts or he could break the gear.

If he takes the cable coming from the battery and touches it to the cable at the back of the B starter relay and it doesn’t spin the engine, it’s a bad starter.

An easier way to verify if the relays are working is to probe the RVS A and the RVS B fuses while you’re holding the starter button in.

You should get full battery power on both fuses. If no, the starter isn’t getting any power and the issue lies somewhere else with the system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts