Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my 2005 GL1800 since 2014. Was an impulse purchase (long story) but we really enjoy it. My brother is an avid Yamaha Venture rider (he has worn out several) so upon his advice I purchased Elite 3 tires the first change out. I have one, brand new Elite 3 for the rear but need a front tire that will work with it. I like to ride and I like to corner but would not be considered an aggressive rider (I have cords showing on the left, rear side). I weigh in at about 190 lbs and my wife is usually with me at 130#. When I looked online at 2005 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 Tires for Motorcycle | Best Reviews & Prices it gets really confusing! My current set are Dunlops but are bias ply put on in 2016. I do not remember the model but I can tell no difference between them and the Elite 3. Anyway, I need something to match up with the Elite 3 I have. Suggestions or guidance?

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,268 Posts
I was not aware that the E3 was still being manufactured?

Please check the Date code on the tire, if it is much more than 5 years ago, I would be suspect in using it. Use this link to find out, if you don't know how to read a Date Code:

E4 tires are compatible with the E3 and are getting good reviews for longevity and good adhesion on dry surfaces. Some riders report they handle well on wet surfaces, " as long as you don't hit Full Throttle " and try to break the rear tire loose.

I have an E4 on the rear of my 1800 and it handles very well.

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,268 Posts
I see you are from Branson, MO and probably would like to meet up with other riders.

this Labor Day weekend, we are having a rally in Eureka Springs, AR
Check out this link and come see us please.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see you are from Branson, MO and probably would like to meet up with other riders.

I have owned my 2005 GL1800 since 2014. Was an impulse purchase (long story) but we really enjoy it. My brother is an avid Yamaha Venture rider (he has worn out several) so upon his advice I purchased Elite 3 tires the first change out. I have one, brand new Elite 3 for the rear but need a front tire that will work with it. I like to ride and I like to corner but would not be considered an aggressive rider (I have cords showing on the left, rear side). I weigh in at about 190 lbs and my wife is usually with me at 130#. When I looked online at 2005 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 Tires for Motorcycle | Best Reviews & Prices it gets really confusing! My current set are Dunlops but are bias ply put on in 2016. I do not remember the model but I can tell no difference between them and the Elite 3. Anyway, I need something to match up with the Elite 3 I have. Suggestions or guidance?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AZgl1800,
Thanks for the reply! I agree, Elite 3's are not being manufactured any longer but I have a brand new tire that has been properly stored and I am comfortable with the date. As to date codes, I have owned large, diesel pusher motor coaches for many years and am a student of tire dates and tire life.
My brother just ran out a set of Elite 4's and was very dissatisfied with the life so he has switched to Commanders. Tires are much like preferred motorcycle brands, everyone has their opinion and I am fine with that (that is what I asked for!!). I welcome others opinions on a front tire that I could successfully match with the Elite 3 that I already own. Did I read somewhere that most motorcycle tires are now bias ply?
As to the rally in Eureka Springs, we travel from July - September to get out of the heat and humidity of AR and MO! We are currently in Hamilton, MT heading to Gold Bar, WA (Goldwing is on a HydraLift on the back of the coach). Will not be back in the MO/AR area until Oct.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I have Avon’s on my 1500 and run Radial on front,bias on the back,best handling goldwing I’ve ever ridden.

·
Administrator
25,749 Posts
. Did I read somewhere that most motorcycle tires are now bias ply?
If you did it was a mistake. 1800s have always came with radials as do many newer motorcycles. I have used several bias ply front tires but have gone back to a radial, along with the radial run flat car tire on the rear.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tire brands do not have to be matched up. You are good as long as you are using the proper size and type. On my 2010 GL1800 I am running and love the way my bike handles with a Bridgestone OEM G709 front paired with a Dunlop E4 rear. I've read many complaints with the front Dunlop E3 and E4 and other brands cupping and being somewhat noisy. Never had an issue with my 'stone G709 front tire. For years on my trusty old 1990 GL1500SE I was also very pleased with a Bridgestone G701 front paired with a Dunlop K177 rear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GL1800Ryder,
Thanks for that information. That is really what I was asking but not knowing what really to ask!! I have decided to go with a Dunlop American Elite because that is what the shop who is going to install it recommended and can get. Am in the Pacific NW (greater Seattle area) and many shops are backed up and can not even install a tire for 3 - 4 weeks. My brother has used this shop for many years and they will "work me in".

·
Registered
25 Posts
Caution! There is a difference between Dunlop's American Elite and their Elite 4. Your 2005 GL1800 takes a radial in rear size 180/60R16. I haven't heard anyone on all of the Goldwing sites I frequent mention the "American Elite." I checked the sizing on the Dunlop page and, not only is it a bias ply tire, I do not see the correct rear tire size for your GL1800. Be sure they are installing an Elite 4, also commonly referred to as an E4.
Tires For My Bike Results | Dunlop Motorcycle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts