Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've found what looks like a pretty good deal on a 93 GL1500SE. It has 104k miles on it, runs well, and everything seems to work. Is there anything I should look for/doublecheck before I pounce? He started out asking 5000, and we're at 3250. Thanks for any advice or opinions!

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

If everything is in good nick, other than the odd machine having a (most likely owner induced)4th gear problem, they are a good machine

Whether it is a Interstate, an Aspencade, or a SE will affect the price, Wilton. You don't state which model it is(?)

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
imported post

Is the rear shock working, ie pressure goes up& down.

led display will show its working ok.

torn rubber boot. on rear shock.

when timingbelts wear changed.

fork oil, when changed. [email protected] brake flulid leaks.

general sound of engine, smoke emmissions.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

The big miles wouldn't sway me at that price. Just figure on some repairs along the way. It sounds like a good deal.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I know very little about the 1500, but for that price I would only worry about the big expensive things. There WILL be some issues with it, but if they are small and fairly inexpensive, it's still well worth that. They are selling for $5K here with some issues. The model is not that important to the price with it being that old, but on the other hand you will have to live with, and live without. I would prefer the Interstate, I like my motorcycles without relish, but that's just me. Some things are more important than others. If the air suspension doesn't work, it could be very expensive to fix. Timing belts, engine oil and filter, coolant, brake and clutch fluid etc. I would replace as a matter of course on any used bike. A leak in the brake system, especially the caliper or master cylinder, is usually an easy, cheap, do it yourself repair, but the air suspension is not. Obviously walk away from a bike with internal engine or transmission problems. Those would most likely cost more than you are paying for the bike to repair.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks, everyone! Dusty, it's an SE, but I see that there are 3 models of those for 93, so I'm not real sure. I rode it about 50 miles, up the mtn to the summit and back down, and noted nothing but sweetness. Very smooth, good power, tracks well with no hands, and it actually feels tight. The guy seems a little strapped for cash, so he's jumping at a quick sale. I think I'll go for it.

Anyone in the market for a GL1200?? :action:

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Well, I did the deal. Luh luh LUV IT!!

I now have one wing too many in the garage, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

swampfoxcws wrote:
:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?

I don;t understand?? Goldwing and to many just don't belong in the same sentence.

How about some pics of the newest addition?

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

swampfoxcws wrote:

congrads, Pics of the new girl:?Naw not to many just need a bigger garage.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

swampfoxcws wrote:

Congrats!! I know I like mine!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
imported post

Wilton, sounds to me like you made out like gangbusters.

Now you know that 1200 will be lonesome if you allow it to leave your garage. :badgrin:

Like in how to get mama to ride it while you ride the 1500.

Sounds like a sweet deal to me.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

Be sure to ride the 1200 once in a while. Mine has been sitting for 3 years and I am currently cleaning carbs to get it to run and idle again so I can sell it. Now the clutch doesn't work so I need to address that. The bike ran perfectly when I bought my 1800 but as you know Goldwings do not like to sit around unused. Enjoy your new ride! Don

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks, Y'all! I'll get some pics out soon. I think I'll ebay the 1200. There's no way I'll ever get what it's really worth, but it won't do me any good sitting around. When I had the stator replaced a coupla years ago, we put all new rubber...gaskets, hoses, timing belts, etc, so it's all good. 5500 miles on my road trip this summer without a sputter. After NASSIR this year, just got my heart set on a 1500, and this one fell in my lap. I'm happy!

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I would keep both. They are two different rides. I miss my 1200.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Congratulations on acquiring the new ride Wilton, wishing you many years of :action::action: on her.

Didn't see it mentioned by anyone else, so one thing to check and keep an eye on is the inner seam of the swinging arm, which can start to rot out and end up requiring replacement. The good news is, that if treated early with a good clean up and liberal applications of silicone, it will go on for donkeys years.
Pictures for us pleeeeease and best of luck with the sale of the 1200. I would have thought that a member on here would have wanted to snap it up. :?
:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

:claps:Enjoy the many miles ahead Wilton . I am certain you wont missthe 1200 much (other than at the gas station).

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you got a great deal to me. My '93 had 170,000+ miles on it when I got the 1800 bug and was running and handling just like it did when new. No reason to think a reasonably well maintained 'Wing wouldn't go past 200,000 without a hitch if not totally neglected.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Congrats Wilton! I look forward to seeing the pics!

John

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Congrats on your new bike. Lets see some pictures of both bikes!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.