Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I need a little help. I'm trying to determine if I should build or purchase a trailer hitch but need more information. Would someoneout there,witha comercial hitch installed,please post a photo of how and where theyattach to the frame? I looked ata homebuilt design that was attached to the muffler hanger but I'm not sure how the manufactured hitches install. I understand that getting down low enough to get good pictures isn't fun, if you still have the installation instructions a good line drawing would work just as well. All help, great or small,appreciated.

Charlie

· Registered
3,236 Posts
imported post

While I do not have pics (because it is not presently installed)... I do have a Markland hitch. At the forward end it attaches to the rear return of the chrome trunk guard via a 1" chrome clamp. The rest of the thing "hangs" from the lower saddlebag struts by means of a saddle clamp. It does not attach to the muffler bolts at any point. Mine is at the sandblaster now...

I considered a homemade one... then I did the math... including the fasteners and the specialized clamps and paint. That brought the cost up quite a bit. I bought mine used for $75 from Specialty Cycle Products, in SC... he gets them from trike conversions he does.

He treated me right! I think he has more than just a few used ones there... of various brands. For the money, I feel I made a good deal... there are lots of used parts out there. Better to put my cash into a good electrical isolation wiring harness...

· Premium Member
14,147 Posts
imported post

From his description, it sounds like I have the same set up as us385south above.

I have a picture:

Go to my page on rear tire removal (2nd page)

http://www.hrot.org/martino/goldwing/reartire/tire2.htm

scroll to the bottom.

Picture on the left labeled: saddle bag removed

You can click on the picture and it will load the full size version.

The outer black bar is thehitch, the inner black bar is the saddle bag frame.

Notice that thereis a clamp at the front end thatconnects to the rear crash bar.

Then there are two"U-bolt" clampstoward the rear. It's identical on the other side.

· Premium Member
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

As usual teamwork pays off. I now have a description of how it attaches, photos, and a line drawing of the system sent to me by e-mail! Thanks for responding, I hope I will have the opportunity to return the favor someday.

Charlie

· The Irish Crew
3,894 Posts
imported post

That's great Charlie. We all try to help one another and you will probably be able to do the same for another forum member one day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.