Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm getting my LTD repainted and I found some nice scroll decals and some flame tape that would look great on the bike. My thoughts are to apply the decals and tape after the base color has been applied and then have the painter apply three coats of gloss clear coat over both. My question is will this work to protect the decals and what are any possible problems to look out for. Thanks in advance!:bow:

·
everyday member
514 Posts
imported post

That is standard procedure for decals and tape. What does your painter say?

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

My pinstripes were painted on by the paint shop I used. I gave a him a bit of free reignwith design but only asked that they be double and Old Gold as I called it.

I loved the result and unlike decalls they will not lift in years to come.

Ask your guy if he can do this.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

The only contsraints are the material that the decal is made of. Cheap adhesive types are not designed to be clearcoated. The adhesive will soften with the solvents in the clear, and they can shrink, move, wrinkle,etc.. If the decals are water activated, and slid in place, then they WILL tolerate the clearcoat, provided they are BONE DRY. If they are stick on type, I'd check with the manufacturer. jimsjinx (finisher)

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

like jimsjinx said, depends on what the decals are made of. Some plastics, particularly the thin "squishy" kind (IE vinyls), don't take well to paint. Might want to have a sample sprayed and see what happens. The two biggest concerns would be the chemicals in the plastic desolving and creating fish eyes, or the paint simply won't stick to the surface. But, if the material will take the paint it'll look great.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Yeah that's good advice. I think we will test a sample before committing to a full graphic on the bike. The decal is Trim Brite brand and seems to be a good quality, but caution is order of the day. I'll let y'all know what happens.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Lethal Weapon stickers say that you can clear coat over them. Only one I have seen in my area to make that statement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.