Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Found another 86 SEI.

Bike has been sitting for quite a while. It does start up and runs but smokes (like a pig)while running.

Comp. ranges from 140psito 155psi

Bike has 55,000 miles on the clock.

Dealer book says it should be at 185psi at sea level, which I am.

Question:

Would you lean toward the valve seals dried out or the piston rings shot!?

Could use the opions early this morning.......

Thanks Kurt

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

You say it has been sitting for quite a while, I would lean toward stuck rings. If so, ride it and they will eventually right themselves. If it were mine, I would change the oil and filter and replace one quart of oil with MMO and ride it for about 500 miles and change again.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Jack,

What do you think about the comp. test.......to low??

Comp. is 5 to 10 psi off each other , but it is lower than the book??

BTW: it is the twin to mine, even in color.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Sorry, I got distracted. I meant to say that you will never see 185 on a bike that old but 170 or a little better is very reasonable after the rings loosen up and begin to seal again.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

The reason I ask Jack is the bike is complete and everything works good.I just can't afford or have the time to pull the motor to do the rings. I can do the heads with no problem.

I'm supposed to go get this bike this afternoon and the smoking thing bugs me.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i agree with the mmo and oil-- filter change.that should help free up and reseat the rings. don't know if i would run that long on the mileage though. maybe 200 at the most. easy running too. than do it again.than check the compression and compare with presvies reading. that should give you a good indacation of condition of the engine. dont forget --- thottle held full open on compressison check. good luck with it too.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

if you are getting it silly cheap go for it

mihe sat for 8 years and i didnt even do a comp test until it had a couple hundred on it after i got it, ended up doing both heads and the water lines on top of the engine but no biggie

i am almost willing to bet it stops smoling after a couple hundred miles, but remember, you will probably have to do all the brakes and shocks and forks along with the heads,,,,, the smoke is probably old old gas

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I have a friend that wants it.

The idea is to safe it and put it back on the road. She is a very nice bike and I do not want a parts bike.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

mowerdoc wrote:
how long did you let it run poss. oil in muffler or stuck rings
I don't think the seller has let it run for more than 15 min's

The owner is a very big wing nut and nice guy. He has a ayrd full of wings.

He changed the air filter, oil and filfter and plugs.

Kurt

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
imported post

From what I've read on this site and elsewhere, it's more important that the cylinders have roughly the same compression, rather than be at a specific point. On the 1100's the range is 15 psi, right where you are. Someone with a 1200 SEI will probably weigh in here with the limits for that engine.

That said, if I had a bike which had sat for quite a while, I think I'd do exactly what Jack suggested and run it with the MMO in it and see if the gaskets re-hydrate (if that's the problem) or if the rings loosen up before I replaced anything. I would also run Seafoam (or Techron) in the gas for a while, since the carbs could be varnished a bit also.

Just my $.02.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

by the way, wanna clean up those injectors? get a 5 gallon gas can and go to your nearest place to buy racing fuel, get the 5 gallons and dump it in, 112 octane or better, these injectors love it

by the wat: these sei's are all the same color

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

The owner wants 2k for it.

Doing a full servce on it is no problem. Swinging wreches is not a problem.

Just don't have the funds or the room to get real buried into it.

I like the race fuel idea though... that will be worth a shot!.

I'm thinking MMO and sea foam and it needs a new Battery.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thought I throw a pic. up of it.

Kurt

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

truthfully, its not worth 2k, by the time you do the work required to put it back on the road in running condition you could buy a 1500 runningyou figure, tires, brakes, belts, head gaskets (you mentioned those for somne reason) maybe an injector or 2 (300 a pop if you can find them) and any other issues that arrise, like the stator. go buy a 1500

i got mine for free and still not sure i got a good deal

i sure would like to have that left side antenna though

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

I think I'm going to pass on her.

To bad though, would have liked to save it. The price is to high. The bike is about a 1 1/2 drive out.

Would have been nice if it was a little closer.

Thanks for your thoughts folks....some times folkls looking in from the outsidecan give a clearer opion....again Thanks!

Sometimes we are like kid's in a candy store aren't we....lol

Kurt

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
imported post

PAPete wrote:
I would also run Seafoam (or Techron) in the gas for a while, since the carbs could be varnished a bit also.
Oops. Sorry. (I even mentioned "SEI".) Very senior moment.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

kurt i think if he will negotiate 1k would be more inline but 2k is out of the question in my book, they are supposed to be worth about 6k IF you find someone who wants it and its in perfect condition, the plastic and paint look good but you will spend countless hours on the vac hoses etc to get her back on the road in "perfect" condition and all those countless hours have to translate into $$$$ somewhere

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

personally think the 2k was reasonable

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

sctrucker wrote:
kurt i think if he will negotiate 1k would be more inline but 2k is out of the question in my book, they are supposed to be worth about 6k IF you find someone who wants it and its in perfect condition, the plastic and paint look good but you will spend countless hours on the vac hoses etc to get her back on the road in "perfect" condition and all those countless hours have to translate into $$$$ somewhere
I fully understand what you and the others are saying.........now that I'm listening.

Lord know's i have enough work into mine. I was lucky mine was in fair condition when I got it.

I have no problem putting hours of work into a bike, that to me is as much fun as riding them......but I think with the motor and not knowing what the real problem might be just put's me off on the bike.

This morning you folks grounded me and made me stop and think.

Thanks Kurt

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.