Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

On Aprill 22nd I was cruising along on my CX500 and got t-boned by a lady. As a result, I lost my left foot. I know there are other amputees out there riding wings (just bought an 83 Interstate) and was wondering whether you are using heel/toe shifters, electric shifters, etc. Your input is appreciated.:)

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure of the spelling but clik tronics Ahand operated electronic shifter I've seen on other bikes.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Kliktronic - Electric Shifter, Quickshifter, Flatshifter, Disabled ...The KLIKTRONIC system is best described as an 'electronic foot'. ... It is powered by the bike's electrical system, unlike air shifters, once fitted there It is kliktronic.co.uk:cool:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

You might PM Nomadicwing. He has a son who lost an arm in Iraq, and was working on a Hondamatic for him. Perhaps he learned something he can share with you...

Best wishes...

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum, Mortermervic. I am sorry to hear about your accident and subsequent loss of foot. If anyone can help you get set up to ride the members here are the ones to do it. Terry

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
imported post

Hello, all these guys on here a very helpful and will continue to help you with issues like the one you have. Sorry about the accient. Just would like to tell you that my wife is a double amputee. She had both her legs removed shottly after birth ( righ below the knee). It is amaizing what she can do!!! She also makes prostetic limbs for a living. I can tell you this, for what its worth, 90% of adult amputees are from motorcycle accidents!! OH, and I have seen many people riding with amputations! Good luck with everything. If I find out any info, I will post it for ya. Happy 4th to all and God Bless

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
imported post

I thought 90% of adult amputees was due to diabetes.......

I hate to hear about your loss. I was talking with Streethawk a few weeks ago and he was working on an electric shifter. You might give him a PM and see if he has some answers for you. I know he mentioned one which worked without a clutch. I hope you get back on the bike in a hurry!

Jeff

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Thanks to all of you for the info re my lost shifter foot. I have heard of Kliktronic and Pingle and it sounds as if they both have a good product. I may have to go that route. In approx 3 weeks, I will have my prosthetic and will attempt to do something without an electric shift. My hobby is building older bikes and my stable has five(!) bikes currently, which would be difficult to retrofit.

I am going to try to do something that I saw on one of the sites that uses something similar to an "L" bracket that screws to the bottom of a shoe and extends out to contact the shifting lever. Has anyone tried this yet? Does it work?

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
imported post

pringle, thats what a friend uses

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

I'm in the same boat as you bud. Although my "left foot" is attached I can't shift because of a spinal cord injury (ATV won). I installed a Kick Tronicks and have use it for thousands of miles and no problems. I installed the shifting buttons on the twist grip for shifiting up and down. I can hardly use the clutch because my left had has the same problen as the left foot. One you moving the Kick Tronics is a breeze to shift with. I would be very happy to send you picture of the install or post them here (if I knew how to) for you to get an idea. If it wasn't for the Kick Tronics I'd still be ridding a CB450A in 2nd gear.....LOL but, that's better then not ridding.
([email protected])
Hang in there Buddy!

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear about your accident. I had a friend who lost his left leg to diabetes and had a prosthesis fitted. I modified his heel-toe shifter with extra length pegs and he rode for several more years until his health finally failed. Good luck on your search.

G

·
imported post

Sorry about your accident.
Try the websights our brothers put on here that will help.
I hope it all waors out for u.

·
751 Posts
imported post

Mervic you might try steels cycle in englewood may have what you need theyare an salvage yard you might givr them a call 303-781-5339 ! Craig ;)

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

Has anyone installed the Kliktronic shifter on an 83 Aspencade? Do you have pictures of the installation? After reviewing all options, the electric shifter seems the safest thing to do when wearing a prosthetic.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

When I was down in Columbia, SC a few months ago for a rally I saw a guy on a Harley that had a modified shifter handle.
It came straight up from the shifter shaft with a clutch handle mounted on the top of it. He used his left hand to pull in the clutch then shift all at the same time. Worked real good for him. He also had a modified wheel chair leg support setup on it to support his leg.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Doesn't the Can-Am Spyder come with handlebar mounted (left side control) shifter? I wonder how they do it? Just a thought...

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,611 Posts
imported post

The Can-Am Spyder comes with an electronic shift option or full automatic option.

Also, they have an option for hand brake only. With that option the foot brake is done away with, and the hand brake operates a sensor that tells the computer how much braking action to apply. That does away with how much strength you need in your wrist and fingers.

I think the Can-Am Spyder is just about perfect for those who have a need for assistance.

My wife as most on here know, lost her right leg about 12 inches below the knee. She is talking that she would like to have a Can-Am Spyder.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.