1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1985 L.E.

Needs some freshening up on the paint.

Should I keep it Gold and Brown, or is there anything wrong with changing the color?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

I'd say it's a matter of personal opinion. The LTD was the only one to have that color combo, and there were suposedly only about 5,000 made, which makes it kinda rare, but rarety don't do nothin' to tone down that loud paint sceme.

I'm personally not a big fan of it, but when I get done needing my wing for daily transport I'll be stripping it down and restoring it, at which point I'll probably do the factory paint. But I'm kinda bias as to keeping my bike original because we share the same birthday (ok just the month and year, but close enough).

On the flip side, I think it might be poolguy that just finished his and he did a nice white (looked like a pearl), and I thinked it worked well, but the only thing that still looked LTD-ish was the driving lights. So like I said, all a matter of opinion. Whatever you choose, keep us updated, I'd like to see more finished LTD's so I can make the decision final for mine.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Nothing wrong at all. My '86 SEI was repainted Ford Jade Green and looked great.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
imported post

No harm in changing it if you want something new. But changing the color will affect its resale value, a lot of buyers like them looking original.
One good thing about that gold color is it can be easily matched in car body shops that mix their own paint. It is cheaper than buying it from Colorrite or dedicated bike paint mixers.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Hey, exavid, I like the green, looks sharp, but I got a question, what's with the aspencade badging on the bags?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The '86 SEI had the Aspencade badges. Take a look at the Goldwing History page, it's mentioned there. The green looked even better than the picture, it was a metallic that really looked good in the sun. When ever it got sun in the Pacific NW that is.

I really don't think repainting an older modelbike in different colors affects it's resale value much. My SEI had a salvage title that didn't prevent me from getting a good price for it when I sold it to get a 1500. If the new paint job is good looking and high quality it most likely will improve the price. Personally I didn't care much for the gold on the LTD or the Ivory on the SEI. But then color is a very subjective individual matter of taste too.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

The '86 SEI had the Aspencade badges
I learn something new every day on this site :action:. I agree, I don't think the color change would effect resale that much. Rare as they are, the rarety doesn't seem to have affected the price, you pay about the same as you wouldfor a carburated wing. Now, someday they may just spike in value, butthat'sprobably a long ways away, so paint it how ya want 'til then.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

Might be interesting to see one painted by apaintball gun. :?
Multi-color, of course. :badgrin:

HUMmmmmmmm . . .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Hey Exavid, that is one sweet looking ride............

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

It's your wing. Paint it however you want, unless of course, someone offers to pay to have it painted for you.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Well, thanks for the input....Not too worried about resale. Plan on keeping it for awhile. Just feel the Gold/Brown a little dated and 70's-ish (although it is an 80's bike)
Liking the paint ball idea!
Just have a reason to remove all the painted parts soon, so figured I'll take advantage. Problem is if I re-do original color, I have to paint the inserts the same...wherre as if I change the color, I can just two-tone it in whatever design I like.....decisions-decisions

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

Ronniels wrote:
Well, thanks for the input....I can just two-tone it in whatever design I like.....decisions-decisions
Paintball-paintball.
It would be a first!
Whatever it be, hope it works E.Z. for yah.

:action:pAINT-ON

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

Picked up an old van like this one, ONCE.

Repainted it brown. :coollep:

NEVER AGAIN!!!Looked like a turd with wheels.

:D

GREEN looks good.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

Just got ride of someone idea of a paint job. after stripping the paint still not finished bike was originally black. The paint was horribly dated to the 70's and was really an embarrassment to be seen on. Paint it to float your boat, resale has nothing to do with the way your boat floats. By the time you are ready to sell it you'll have gotten you thrill, and the next guy will strip the parts and trash it anyway. Do your thing and to heck with other opinions on what you should do. Now ideas on paint schemes is a whole new ball game.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.