Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's the dilemma in a nutshell. I am enjoying the bee-jeepers out of my 2003 Wing and have put a LOT of mileage on her in 2.5 years. A significant amount of mileage is put on her every week commuting to work (80 miles per day/400 plus miles per week). So far so good right? Wrong! I'm not liking the fact that I am putting significant mileage on my primary touring bike just for commuting so I am seriously considering getting a smaller ride for the daily commute. I have a modest budget for this addition to the stable but want to make the best decision possible and to be honest, I just don't have the background to know what I should be looking for.

So, as always, I will look to my forum friends to help me with this dilemma. Any recommendations for a daily commuter???

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
I can tell you I commuted on a shadow 500 for 6 months before getting my wing. On the hijway it's not pleasent, but it is do-able. I would say get a fairing if you can, and pretty much anything Honda is a safe bet... maybe a gl500/650?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
It will be better for it to ride it to work than let it set.
They get testy when left behind for your riding another everyday!

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will be better for it to ride it to work than let it set.
They get testy when left behind for your riding another everyday!
Good point Stu! :) Maybe I should just keep on keeping on and let it go at that!

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Your ride to/from work mainly Interstate, or mostly 2 lane stuff, John?

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your ride mainly Interstate, or mostly 2 lane stuff, John?
Good question Ken! I ride Intersate 840 (not congested and I run at about 75-80 MPH) for just over half of the total 40 mile trip (23 miles), then the remaining 17 or so is on a more fun 2 lane road that runs along side of interstate 40 (35-45 MPH). So, each day is about 46 miles total interstate and 34 miles total two lane road. ALTHOUGH, I must admit that on nice days when I'm not rushing to get home at the end of the day, I have been known to bypass the interstate leg of the trip home and take a more "scenic" route through the country. Here's the route:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
I had an 1100 shadow ace tourer and really liked it.
You could probably get on of those used for under $2500.00
Very comfortable bike.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
I do not know John, for that long of a commute. I think that the wing would be your best bet for several reasons. 1) The protection of the fairing for inclement weather. 2) Creature comforts of the radio and your cup holder or what not on your commute. 3) You never know when you might pass a Harbor Freight or Cabella's on the way home and the Bike makes an unscheduled stop. Where would you be putting all the goodies that you picked up at either of those places?

That being said, there are a lot of choices for a smaller bike. The Honda Shadow is an excellent choice and you can get the windshield and a set of bags for that. Or going with your Billy Idol look from last week, Harley makes some good day riders that would do well for the commute (Albeit a bit more spendy)

Let us know what you decide! :waving:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
First, based on your present mileage that you have put on in 2.5 years, you have another 200,000 more miles to go before you have to worry about this....... Thats what, another 7 or 8 years based on your present mileage?

Based on the above, that takes you into retirement, in which, it will be time to get a new one then anyways..........

Ride that thing!!

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First, based on your present mileage that you have put on in 2.5 years, you have another 200,000 more miles to go before you have to worry about this....... Thats what, another 7 or 8 years based on your present mileage? Based on the above, that takes you into retirement, in which, it will be time to get a new one then anyways..........Ride that thing!!
Too funny although you're probably pretty close to the truth!!! :raspberry:

P.S. Still enjoying the wine and the coffee although the coffee is almost gone!!
:sadguy:

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
If you are not looking for better gas mileage, how about a nice conditioned 1200 Wing with lower miles. That would be a lot of fun, and you could give a Wing a home.
If you are looking for better gas mileage, something in the 500 cc range with aftermarket fairing would do it. Probably would not go smaller than that though.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Do not overlook the Honda CBR, or the Kawi Ninja 250s .... seriously!

They have the performance to keep up on the Interstates (My old Suzuki GT250 {2 stroke, twin cylinder/twin carb} used to top out at an indicated 117mph!) are nimble for city roads and they get excellent fuel mileage.

Bigger isn't necessarily better! :wink:

·
Premium Member
67,686 Posts
maybe you could get a job closer to home

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
i'm thinking of selling my 1500 and getting a v-strom 650 or 1000. sound like fun bikes and the 650 is supposed to get exultant fuel milage.
Wilf

·
Just one of the guys
4,833 Posts
Get something that Littlebit can ride on the weekends.

I don't think you would save much money in the long run by having a second bike, not by the time you buy the bike, insurance, tags, and everything else you will need so I would say get something significantly different from the Goldwing so you can change things up a bit when you change bikes. Otherwise, ride the 'Wing until she is worn out and buy another one.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
My buddy has a VTX something big, is a special ops guy too, and loves to ride on two wheels. Funny thing is, he rides a Honda 110ccm scooter back and forth to base every day. He loves that little stupid thing and is having a blast on it. His commute is about 50 miles each way, each day and he wouldn't have it any other way..... If he can do it....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.