Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I broke off a pilot screw in one carb. I have tried to drill it out with a series of increasing drill bit sizes. I am almost the the threads and don't want to mess it up. I need some suggestions to finish the job. The remains of the pilot screw still appear to be siezed up.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

edzinohio wrote:
I broke off a pilot screw in one carb. I have tried to drill it out with a series of increasing drill bit sizes. I am almost the the threads and don't want to mess it up. I need some suggestions to finish the job. The remains of the pilot screw still appear to be siezed up.
edzinohio, that's a tough problem you have there. ANYTHING you do that in any way alters the pilot needle seat or angle will really foul up your low speed fuel mixture on that carb.

If you must get it out-- Setting the carb up in a milling machine so it is perfectly straight to the quill then using a small mill bit would be best (I have done similar in my mill with good results). If you don't have access to a mill then making a small drilling fixture to press onto the needle recess to guide a small drill bit would be a good choice. Use a left hand drill bit as those tend to catch & spin the broken needle out as you get close to drilling through the broken needle.

If you can heat the area a little & work some penetrating oil in around the broken needle (from both sides)enough to allow it to come free easily, you could drill a small hole in the needle (stop short of the tip & seat) then lock-tite a small drill bit in the drilled hole in the needle & back the freed needle out using that loc-tite-ed drill bit.

Do you really have to remove it? If you can clean around it & clean the passage behind it you could probably leave it alone as more than likely you would just adjust it to the same spot when doing the final carb adjustment.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Too late, I have already drilled out the guts of the screw down to the spring. It is a mess. I only have a little brass around the edges, but it is stuck.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Great advice Twisty:clapper:

:12red::cool:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

edzinohio wrote:
Too late, I have already drilled out the guts of the screw down to the spring. It is a mess. I only have a little brass around the edges, but it is stuck.
edzinohio, that needle tip extends a fair amount past the spring area so maybe you could leave it alone & try cleaning the jet passage from the carb bore side.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Worse case scenario, replace that one carb body. I am sure someone here has one to part out. Or "break" as y'all say....

It should be the same body number, because all 4 bodies may be different. I know #3 has the accellerator pump on it, the other 3 may have some slight differences.

What kind of bike is this?

Raymond

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.