Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I found this pic on the net. Looks like a 6 cylinder, mix n match wheels, and such. Whassup with it?

The pic was part of a collage, so no text was available...

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

I think that is the original Goldwing prototype..... factory concept bike ... test bike... whatever!

It was a Goldwing before they had Golwings!

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I found the parent page for the foto, and they say it is the m1. Thats the first pic I have seen of it other than the black and white that is seen elsewhere. Whats interesting about it is the mix and match stuff... wonder how it came to that state?

Obviously the bags, and fenders have been changed...

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
imported post

UBarW that picture is also shown on page 83 of Honda Motorcycles published by MBI Publishing Co. by Aaron P. Frank in 2003.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

She existed in several configurations. Some say the prototype was inwork as early as 72.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

yah, I get all that. I am suggesting that it was being "played with". the fender and wheels...

almost as if it was some individuals bike for awhile. shadetree mechanicing, ya know? Why the mismatched wheels and fender? At honda they woulda kept it the same...

·
2,486 Posts
imported post

I have a book (bought on eBay) titled "Gold Wing The First 20 Years" published for American Honda Co. by Vreeke & Assoc. in 1994. The very first pic in the book, aside from the emblems, is the pic in your second post, Dick. The small, bold text next to it reads:
"Although it led to the Gold Wing, the M1 was never a Gold Wing prototype. Instead, the M1, with it's liquid-cooled 1470cc flat-six engine was meant to probe the limits of possibility in motorcycle design- to be the King of Kings motorcycle

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

I'd say some one has or had it as a personal project after its mule days were finished. There would not be much use for Mother Honda to keep playing with it after the GL series was in production . Along with the front end being updated a few years ,it also had the rear wheel changed from the BMW type wheel of the black and white photo.

Dick , can you clean up the back ground of the photo and tell if its stateside where the picture was made ? Maybe the California folks got hold of it .

·
2,486 Posts
imported post

Text w/that photo reads:

"The M1 as it lives today, photographed outside Honda's R&D facility in Japan. It now wears a complete front end from a GL1100, in place of the CB750 components it originally had. This engine was also used in a GL1200 chassis to test the concept of the GL1500, making it one of the longest-lived testing mules in Honda history"

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
imported post

It's a bike....... :cheeky1:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Scooter 7 wrote:
Text w/that photo reads:

"The M1 as it lives today, photographed outside Honda's R&D facility in Japan. It now wears a complete front end from a GL1100, in place of the CB750 components it originally had. This engine was also used in a GL1200 chassis to test the concept of the GL1500, making it one of the longest-lived testing mules in Honda history"
sounds like what I was after... thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I wonder what they hung on it for an induction system. Doesn't look like half a dozen carbs - and doesn't look like the dual set-up they settled on for the 15. . .

. . . he said, with furrowed brow . . .

·
2,486 Posts
imported post

The book really doesn't address the carburation...but that sure looks like the usual boxer intake setup

·
2,486 Posts
imported post

They do mention that a BMW shaft was used, so now it sounds like they used the tranny, too?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.