Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone. It's good to be back after a long and cold winter up here in Canada. Last summer I purchased a trailer hitch for my GW and did not get the chance to install it until now. Can someone on the forum give me some tips on how to go about installing this thing. See pic of hitch. It came off a 96GW so I'm sure it will fit. What do I need to do step by step? The female plug is flat and has six wires. Yellow, orange, green, blue,brown and white with a black strip on it. What is best way of installing this wire. Thanks for your help.

Pete

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Okay, I will be the first to wade in and offer a small bit of advice. Make sure to smear copper slip or something similar to all the nuts and bolts securing the hitch, since it will be living in dirty conditions under the bike and if you need to remove any of the fittings for any reason in the future this will make life much easier. :waving:

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks SilverFox. What I've done is applied white grease to all the threads on all the clamps on this hitch. AGNOGEL I'm not sure I follow. By rear crash guards are you referring to the crash guards around the rear saddle bags? If I'm missingthese clampscan I purchase them somewhere? Doeither of you have a procedure to follow? ie: remove the rear saddle bags first. Then do this? Thanks

Pete

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Yes the crash bars are the chrome guards these are what pulls the trailer the other U clamps only hold up the hitch and on the link you can order them from cyclemax have a look at the site its very good you dont have to remove anything the hitch just bolts on underneath

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I have ordered the two missing clamps from my honda dealer. Cost was $15 each. I'm still not sure of the wiring configuration on the trailer as I have not purchased it yet. The seller is out of town for a few weeks. The seller is asking $700. and it's basically an old refinished whisky barrel cut in half to open up and has a small cooler in front. Not sure of the cubic ft of this trailer but I'm sure it will pull nicely and hold plenty of gear. See Pic of trailer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

HELLO THE HITCH IS NOT THAT HARD TO INSTALL,THEIR IS A COUPLE OF YEARS YOU HAVE TO REMOVE A MUFFLER.I GOT MINE AT WWW.BIGBIKEPARTS.COM AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTION ARE ON THE WEB SITE ,JUST LOOK IT UP FOR YOUR BIKE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.