Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an '88 GL1500 that I recntly removed a pair of aftermarket grips from in favor of stock grips. I like the smaller diameter of the stock grips, 'cause my mitts are wide but not long. The only problem now is the loss of the built-in weights that were part of the aftermarket grips. I'm experiencing some vibration that wasn't there before.

The stock bars are plugged on the end (probably with built-in weights, I guess) that won't budge when I tap them with a mallet and punch, so I can't use the universal type of bar end weights with the rubber plug that's squeezed by the action of a screw to expand and grip the interior of the bar.

:weightlifter:

Does anyone have any advice, preferably from experience at adding bar end weights to his/her wing?

Thanks,

Jack

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

The weights on the GL1500 are welded in place. The only types I've seen are chromes plastic ones thatcome with grips (like the Honda heated ones) that just slot under a lip in the rubber grips.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Ben. I've been considering drilling into the fixed weights and screwing on a set of weights from an ST1300, but I thought someone might have a better idea . . .

Jack

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

You may have to drill Jack. I was looking for a similar solution a couple of years back but nothing was available.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Jack Joyce wrote:
The only problem now is the loss of the built-in weights that were part of the aftermarket grips. I'm experiencing some vibration that wasn't there before.

Jack
How does that front tire look? I had the wobblies and replacing my front tire removed them through the whole speed range. The tire didn't look too bad, had some tread left but there was a bit of cupping showing. It was a Dunlop EII.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

The front tire is golden. There's no wobble, just a light vibration that's almost unnoticeable that I thought bar end weights might clear up . . .

Looks like I might have to drill after all.

Thnks.

Jack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.