Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ordered Pathfinders and have a new windsheild, the last piece of the safety at night puzzle is being able to light up the 2 miles of dirt road at night.
The alternator was rebuilt a few years ago by M.A.R.S. it was upgraded at the time so it can handle extra demands.

The lights need to be super bright for seeing.
They will have a switch in the cockpit somewhere.
HID, LED? Other?
Light bar?

Whats available?

Thanks
Kevin

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,874 Posts
HID used to be thing, and they are bright, but they have a downside.
They require a LOT of power, and they do NOT tolerate being turned ON/OFF/ON rapidly without having a chance to cool down.

I have HID in the Low Beams of my 1800, and they are controlled by the Oil Pressure Switch.
if the engine is running, they are ON.

none of that crap with the Start button turning them OFF to start the engine, and then immediately powering them back ON... that will kill the ballast in a hurry.

IMO, stay away from HID.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Lots of LED options these days.
Of course if you pull a trailer with a generator, you could rock some carbon arc lamps.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I put a light bar and Harbor Freight square LED driving lights on it. Wired through a relay also. I think I could read a newspaper at 1/4 mile at night on the highway if I could see at that distance. If you were sitting alongside you could!!!

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put a light bar and Harbor Freight square LED driving lights on it. Wired through a relay also. I think I could read a newspaper at 1/4 mile at night on the highway if I could see at that distance. If you were sitting alongside you could!!!
Sounds like the way to go .. HF has 2 different 3” square Led lights .. one is a Flood Light that goes 350-ish feet and lights up the surrounding area. The other is a Spotlight that goes 900+ feet ... do you know which you have?
I wonder if one of each on a light bar would be best?
Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like the way to go .. HF has 2 different 3” square Led lights .. one is a Flood Light that goes 350-ish feet and lights up the surrounding area. The other is a Spotlight that goes 900+ feet ... do you know which you have?
I wonder if one of each on a light bar would be best?
Thoughts?
I bought a light bar from Cycle Max and 3 In. LED Flood with Side Light - Pair along with the wiring kit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts