Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

As my bike had not been ridden much, I am going to change oil/belts/filters etc. What are the part numbers for the timing belts and where to get them reasonable. I boughtthe fuel filter from the GW dealer, but he's high on about everything else. I am looking to change oil/filter, and timing belts and whatever necessary gaskets.

Plus where do you guys purchase at a reasonable price. Oh yeah I guess I might need part numbers for all. My bike is a 91 Interstate with 15K miles, so if there is anything else I need to look at replace while I'm in there, I am all ears...well, eyes at this point. Thanks in advance...

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I would inspect the belts, they may be in good shape still. jimsjinx

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You can get timing belts from NAPA, part #250275 or at other parts stores you can ask for Gates T375. For Honda OEM parts look at Motogrid, they have just about everything and deliver pretty promptly. Their prices are pretty good, higher than Honda Direct Line but faster shipping. At either site you can look up the part and Honda numbers.

Motogrid

Honda Direct Line

·
Premium Member
63,018 Posts
imported post

If you don't need to change the coolant.. The belts can be changed without removing the radiator hose.. You do need strong thumbs.. That will save you mess and time of dumping and refilling the radiator...
I went with NAPA and they were Gates belts.. They looked and smelt freshly made.. A few bucks more than E Bay.........

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

My B-I-L and I were talking, the bike doesnt have many miles on it, but that also means probably nothing has been changed on it and the belts have 17 years on them. If I am going that far in there to inspect, I would rather just change them so I dont have to tear into it again for a while.

What's the difference between OEM and the Napa/Gates parts? Not necessarily price (that's a factor too, but not as much), but will I have to replace them at 30K instead of 50K?

Plus I need part numbers for oil filter. Havent done this before as this is my 1st new-to-me wing. I'm a fairly decent wrench, probably a 8.19843745 out of 10.

Thanks guys and gals...
Bill

·
Premium Member
63,018 Posts
imported post

The oil filter I've been using is a NAPA #1358 about $11.00.. If you have a AAA card you get 10% off..
Can't tell you the difference between OEM or gates belts but Gates are very good and about 1/3 the price...... NAPA 1500 belt # is 250275 about $55./ $60 bucks......

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

probably a 8.19843745 out of 10.

Sorry, you have to be a 8.19843750 to work on Goldwings.:dude:

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

I once worked with a maintenance foreman who rated all his tradesmen on a scale of 0 to 10. There was one 0, but he had 'relatives'. There was a 10 as well, and he too had a relative.

Never thought it was a very good plan.

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

Gates makes the belts for Honda (OEM has Gates printed right on them) so no worries about the quality of aftermarket parts there.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

chiefcherokee wrote:
Sorry, you have to be a 8.19843750 to work on Goldwings.:dude:
Do I get any bonus points for owning Yamahas and a Suzuki, none of which seen the dealer? And oh yeah, a BMW cager for over 8 years, and a 32 Ford in the garage, and a 72 Chevelle out in the driveway?

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
imported post

no bonus points here

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

Wally World carries your oil filters for about $3. The Super Tech filters are made by Champion, and the short filter is ST6607--the long(er) filter is ST7317.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Benefit of the shorter filter is that it's easier to get a wrench on if it's too tight to get off by hand without taking the lower cowl off. Larger filter has more filter media but that really doesn't matter since most of us change pretty often.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

da_bull wrote:
As my bike had not been ridden much, I am going to change oil/belts/filters etc. What are the part numbers for the timing belts and where to get them reasonable. I boughtthe fuel filter from the GW dealer, but he's high on about everything else. I am looking to change oil/filter, and timing belts and whatever necessary gaskets.

Plus where do you guys purchase at a reasonable price. Oh yeah I guess I might need part numbers for all. My bike is a 91 Interstate with 15K miles, so if there is anything else I need to look at replace while I'm in there, I am all ears...well, eyes at this point. Thanks in advance...

Bill
Bill, one of our members put togerther a full listing of replacement parts #'s. Here is the link. http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/22913.html Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

That'll work. I'll check it out. Thanks...

Bill

edit: looks like a bad link? gave mea 404 error

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.