Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The carburetor synchronizer set screw is stripped. Actually, the linkage is stripped (pretty sure the set screw and lock nut are fine). The screw between #2 and #4.

Can this be repaired, aside from replacing the linkage (or entire carb set - can't seem to find carb parts, only full sets). All ideas considered!

Thanks!
Steve

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

Maybe drill and tap the tab? You might be able to find the next size up (metric or normal) (LOL). Make sure you use FINE threads. I don't know if you can do it on the bike as I never attempted this. Also, if you are not sure on how to do it I would recommend taking it to a machine shop.

The only bad thing would be needing different tools to make that one adjustment.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Would be best to do all 4 then they would all be the same
Wilf

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,757 Posts
imported post

Can you add a thin nut to the other side of the plate? Thats what I did with my original carbs and it worked a lot better than the stock set up. Once the carbs were set and locked down, they didn't go out of sync.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

'Thin' is the operative word - are these available at the local h/w store?
I found it difficult to back-out the set screw (I stopped). Is this by design? Do I push it through the back side instead?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,757 Posts
imported post

hossners wrote:
'Thin' is the operative word - are these available at the local h/w store?
I found it difficult to back-out the set screw (I stopped). Is this by design? Do I push it through the back side instead?
Mine was available at my local flat file.

I Don't understand what you mean "push itthrough the back side". Mine is a 1200 and doesn't normally use a lock nut on the back side, so it may be different enough that this won't work for you.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

> Mine was available at my local flat file.
Ah, yes. I have one of those nearby.

> ... what you mean, "push it through the back side"?
I couldn't unscrew the set screw all the way to remove it. (Maybe captured by design, maybe just gunked up?) As it has no 'head', I imagine I can screw it in all the way and have it come out the back-side...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.