Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was pulling the rear Axel and the 27 MM Box wrench from the 1500 Toolkit broke and busted my knuckles.

I admit I was cranking on it pretty hard. But I have never had trouble removing that nut before.

It could be that the temp was 11 below zero before I heated the shop up and the metal bits were quite cold.

Good thing I was wearing a pair of gloves, but I was still leaking blood through them. grin.

And it's an Awfully good thing this didn't happen on the road. I got lots of tools here, But I count on everything I carry on the bike to work.

I want the original as it becomes the handle for the 1500 tool kit case.

Anybody have an extra I could buy?

Thanks

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I thought my tool kit was missing the 27mm, but there is one and the 22mm. Does anyone know what is missing from my kit? Looks like I am missing the slide handle that fits on the wrench.

I see one on ebay with an extendable 27mm wrench used as the handle, but mine has a short 27mm already. Honda must have at least a couple of different versions of the GL1500 toolkit.

The 27mm is cheap from Honda, if you're going to be ordering anything else. I am getting ready to place a large order, let me know if you need me to get a wrench.

1997 SE Kit:

http://cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/795-honda-1997-gold-wing-se-gl1500se/assemblies/11912

#31 on the diagram

1992 GL1500 Interstate kit shows 27mm wrench as unavailable.

http://cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/599-honda-1992-gold-wing-interstate-gl1500i/assemblies/10410

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

Sam, Put me down for a 27mm wrench. I broke mine last year replacing my rear tire. Ended up using a harbor freight impact socket, 36" breaker bar & all of my weight to get that sucker loose. The PO must have had an 800lb gorllia put the axle nut on....PM me with payment details....-Rich

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Redeye1620 wrote:
Sam, Put me down for a 27mm wrench. I broke mine last year replacing my rear tire. Ended up using a harbor freight impact socket, 36" breaker bar & all of my weight to get that sucker loose. The PO must have had an 800lb gorllia put the axle nut on....PM me with payment details....-Rich
I'll let you know if the thing is even available, but it should be. May not have the cheater bar on it, but I figure a flattened piece of EMT should do the trick.

I am ordering some repair parts for my '97 late tonight sometime.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

Heat up the nut with a torch . will come off easer . My 2Cents

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Hey Sam, Thanks for the info. I will just order one from my dealer.

I have one from a Yamaha Venture Tool Kit, but it's longer and wont fit my kit.

In your kit, the 27 MM with the sliding flattened metal pipe becomes the handle for your kit.

I see your 27mm is nested ontop of the 22mm wrench.

I too think flattened Conduit should work.

This is the third tire change on this bike for me and I never had a problem removing that nut till now.

I kept grabbing a flashlight and studying the threads to see if maybe they went the other way like lug nuts on old Dodges. But I knew I would have remembered something weird like that.

Thanks.

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
Redeye1620 wrote:
I'll let you know if the thing is even available, but it should be. May not have the cheater bar on it, but I figure a flattened piece of EMT should do the trick.

I am ordering some repair parts for my '97 late tonight sometime.
I have the cheater bar still in my tool kit.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
I thought my tool kit was missing the 27mm, but there is one and the 22mm. Does anyone know what is missing from my kit? Looks like I am missing the slide handle that fits on the wrench.

Sam .... if that is a picture of your tool kit, it looks like your 'slide handle' is underneath your 2 box end wrenches and feeler guages. Can't figure out what else it may be. :?

Dusty

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Silicon Sam wrote:
Sam .... if that is a picture of your tool kit, it looks like your 'slide handle' is underneath your 2 box end wrenches and feeler guages. Can't figure out what else it may be. :?

Dusty
Yep, it's my tool kit, and yep, that's the handle for the 27mm wrench. Wonder who put it there? I should have caught it, so glad you did before I wondered even more.... Now I have my carrying handle back....

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

Redeye1620 wrote:
Sam, Did you find out if the wrench is available? Are we still on, or should I get mine separately?....-Rich

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Redeye1620 wrote:
Redeye1620 wrote:
Sam, Did you find out if the wrench is available? Are we still on, or should I get mine separately?....-Rich
Ooooops, I am sorry, I saw the comment from Mohawk above "Hey Sam, Thanks for the info. I will just order one from my dealer.' and I thought that was you saying you would just get your own.

I'll place another order here shortly, unless you want to see if a dealer can just order it for you. It's such a small item cost wise.

Let me know though.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
Redeye1620 wrote:
Redeye1620 wrote:
Ooooops, I am sorry, I saw the comment from Mohawk above "Hey Sam, Thanks for the info. I will just order one from my dealer.' and I thought that was you saying you would just get your own.

I'll place another order here shortly, unless you want to see if a dealer can just order it for you. It's such a small item cost wise.

Let me know though.
I will order from Gary @ http://cyclemax.com/ Thanks....-Rich

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
imported post

I carry a 1200 Ltd tool kit in pouch in my 1500, being the best tool kit Honda ever made.

The 27mm wrench is 3/8" thick :<)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Ordered Mine from my Local Dealer and the cost was $3.48 plus tax.. No Shipping as it's sent to the Dealer.

I have ordered quite a bit from the local Honda Dealer and never paid shipping yet.

Works for me...

Mohawk

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

CWN wrote:
I carry a 1200 Ltd tool kit in pouch in my 1500, being the best tool kit Honda ever made.

The 27mm wrench is 3/8" thick :<;)

While that is a beefy wrench indeed, the 27mm, the carrying handle and the 22mm wrench are designed to work 'as a team' on the 1500s tool kit and that wrench's handle would be too thick to slide the carrying handle onto.!

When I use the 27mm for the wheel, I slip it onto the axle nut, then slide that carrying handle part way over the wrench's handle, then slide the handle of the22mm one, part way into the carrying handle. It all works together like a 'cheater bar'. This gives you a lot more leverage, to unfasten the axle nuts, or to give them the required amount of torque when tightening them.

Rudy said he's never seen them used in that combination before, when I showed him this 'technique' this past summer. :?

They work well together.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Hey great tip!

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
When I use the 27mm for the wheel, I slip it onto the axle nut, then slide that carrying handle part way over the wrench's handle, then slide the handle of the22mm one, part way into the carrying handle. It all works together like a 'cheater bar'. This gives you a lot more leverage, to unfasten the axle nuts, or to give them the required amount of torque when tightening them.

Rudy said he's never seen them used in that combination before, when I showed him this 'technique' this past summer. :?
Yep. Just leave it up to Chuck the Canuck to blow your mind about the time you think you have him pegged.

That was a memorable surprise there.

I like those. :claps:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.