Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'd going to replace the amp with a small aftermarket one. I've been looking for an equalizer/amp, the underdash type. I plan on mounting it in one of the bags. What wires do I use from the tuner to the new amp?
Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

No clue but you may want to cal sierra.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

As a former car stereo installer , i would replace the Clarion amp. with another Clarion unit of your choise .
The Clarion stuff is excellent quality and the wiring will be the same .
Need to ask why you have decided to change the amp.?
If you are just looking for the fine tuning an equalizer provides , you can purchase a preamp. Clarion equalizer to DIN connect to your present Clarion amp.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

The original amp is apparently broken, only putting out power to one of the speakers (I tried swapping the wires to make sure it's not a defective speaker). After reading up on these systems it seems the amp is known to be a weak link. I've seen a few Clarion II amps on ebay but they've run $75 and up, and at around 30 years old, they may not have much life left. I'd rather spend the money on a little newer technology than try to stick with original equipment, especially since I should be able to get better performance for the money.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hope I'm not breaking any rules here by posting this but this is what I've got for the wiring schematic in the back of my manual.

It looks to me like the blue (B), green (G) and yellow (Y) wires that go from the tuner to the amp might be low-level outputs to the amp. I'm guessing blue (B) and yellow (Y) would be left and right positive,and the green (G) would be a shared negative.

The green (G) and violet (V) appear to be for the mute button on the handle bar.

If I'm correct on this wiring, I'd wire it to the new amp in the same manner, and I'd use the mute button to turn the power button on/off.

I'm certain someone has done this before.....any input on this is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Thats pretty old stuff and you might have some trouble finding current units to match.?
According to the schematic , you require a amp./eq with high power input " approx.6 watts. " and a common ground and only two channel output .
This stuff hasent been around for many many years .
If you intend to keep the system " year specific " i would suggest a troll through the local pawn shops . If you are looking to upgrade the system , a complete renewal of all components is needed.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

SCB , i have some older units from my car stereo installation days.
If your interested let me know .?

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Machinehead, pm sent.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Just an update. Thanks to ceasefire49, I did call Sierra to discuss what I wanted to do. They confirmed that the system uses a common ground and that I could splice a new unit in. All I had to do then was to figure out which wires did what. It's by no means a simple system with the separate components but thanks to the owner's manual and one I downloaded from another site, I was able to wire it to a small, light 100 watt amp. Works decent but speakers need upgrading.

I still haven't figured out how to make the mute button work, unless I could use it as a switch for the amp remote. Anyone understand how the mute switch works with the original amp? It didn't totally mute the system so I don't if it would work as an on/off.

Thanks,
Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.