Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HI,I NEED MORE ADVICE ON CHANGING OUT MY VALVE STEM SEALS. I HAVE A 1983 HONDA GL1100 GOLDWING I .I HAVE A NEW STYLE SPRING COMPRESSOR AND SEALS. WHAT WILL I HAVE TO REMOVE TO INSTALL THE SEALS. I WOULD RATHER NOT GET IN TO ADJUSTING THE VALVES OR ANY ITEMS REMOVE THAT WILL CAUSE ME TO DO MORE THAN HAS TO BE DONE.ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED.I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THANK YOU TO GOLDWINGER THAT SUGGESTED THAT MY SLOW STARTER COULD BE HELPED MY ADDING SEAFOAM TO MY OIL AND RUN FOR A HOUR OR SO AND THEN DRAIN OIL WHILE ITS HOT.I WILL SAY THIS, IT WORKS.MY STARTER TURNS ENGINE OVER LIKE A NEW INSTALLED STARTER. AGAIN THANK YOU. HOGHIDEMAN

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The easiest way to replace the stem seals is to hold the valves in place with either comressed air in the cylinder or feeding some nylon rope into the spark plug hole and turning the crankshaft to compress the rope against the valves holding them in place. Then all you have to do is to remove the rocker assembly and valve stem keepers. It's faster than pulling the head to do the job and at the price of head gaskets a good bit cheaper too. Adjusting the valves on the 1100 is a very simple and quick job, .004" on the intakes and .005" clearance on the exhaust if I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

I would suggest the compressed air as the simplest way. Most parts stores should carry something that will work, or you can convert a compression tester. The tester that I have is one guage with a quick connect for different spark plug types so it is easy to hook air up to it. And while you are there you might as well adjust the valves since you will have most of the parts that you need to get off already off.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

he yelled at us :{

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

hi,thanks for information on valve seal replacement. one thing i don't understand is why it bothers some folks if you use caps instead of small letters.i know it considered speaking loud when you use caps.what does it really hurt using caps? you can read it betteer. thanks for all y'alls help.have a great day. hoghideman

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

You can read it better, doesn't mean the rest of us can. Go buy and install a text to voice reading program for the blind and then tell us it's not shouting. Caps make the programs blare out of the speakers or headphones most of the blind wear.

hoghideman wrote:
hi,thanks for information on valve seal replacement. one thing i don't understand is why it bothers some folks if you use caps instead of small letters.i know it considered speaking loud when you use caps.what does it really hurt using caps? you can read it betteer. thanks for all y'alls help.have a great day. hoghideman

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.