Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have been working on a newly aquired 84 GL1200A. Inoticed the brake light did not workwhen the foot brake was activated, worked well with the hand brake. I found a wiring schematic and started chasing wires, after checking the brake light switch above the brake pedal. I discovered 2 brown wires that had been patched into the brake light wiring just above the brake light switch. I checked each wire for voltage andthere was no voltage getting to the switch. I disconnected the "extra" brown wires, reconnected the switch as per the schematic and the brake light works,,,,problem solved? What did I disconnect? Everything seems to work, except the started button, which didn't work before I disconnected the brown wires. The 2 brown wires enter a junction block on the LH side of the gas tank. I'll try and enclose a pic. There seems to be no voltage on either wire when checked between one of the wires and ground or across the wires. The 2 wires in question are the ones running upwards at 10 o'clock. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Someone's homegrown trailer wiring that was shorted to ground perhaps???

:baffled:

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Maybe, but there is no sign of a hitch ever being installed. It was shorting out the system though. I couldn't find any electric to the brake light switch until I disconnected the extra wires.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I had the same kind of wack job on my 85 in the same place. Funny how many freaks use these crimp fittings

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
imported post

Looks like it may have been cruise control wiring. Any evidence of that having been installed?
Greg

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Well there is a lever just forward of the throttle on the RH side of the handle bar, it seemsto partially lock the throttle when activated. I don't know much about the bike, just bought it several weeks ago and have been working on it since and have never had a ride on it to see how everything works OR not. A lot of electrical problems with lights and switches. I don't remember the PO saying anything about cruise control. I'll give him a call later and ask.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Raveller, you hit the nail on the head. I found a Markland Cruise Control unit stuffed into the LH Faring pocket. Maybe one of these days I'll attempt to check it out and see what the problem is. I have a lot more work to do before this project though.

Thanks for the direction, it helped a lot.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.