Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Needed 1979 GL 1000 rectifier and regulator

Well after my 1000 mile trip, good thing it is after not during, the battery is not charging. The battery was purchased new just before my trip. Stator checks good. I am getting no readings for the forward bias on the rectifier and the reverse bias seems low. I am not sure if the regulator is bad. Can you test the regulator if the rectifier is bad?

I do get 40v @ 2800 rpms on the yellow wire going to the regulator. That voltage drops as the rpms go down. I have 10+ volts on the black wire.

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

I think I have one from a 79.. Not sure it works now but did come off a running bike. Let you know tomorrow...If you pay shipping you can have it as i have no use for it. I have a 82. Also have front and rear wheel.. front forks and other things if you need from a 79.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Also if your not getting power pass the reg... Its toast most likely.

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks alot, I appreciate it. I am not sure how to test the regulator if the rectifier is bad. I have read this page from http://www.randakks.com/TechTip73.htm and the diagram below is from that page.

I could use a voltmeter if you still have it as well.

EDIT:

If I pull the black wire from the regulator leaving the other two connected I think I would/should see +14 volts on it's way to the battery. What do you think?

No, looking at the wiring diagram the black is a 12 volt supply.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

think it would be, yes... dont know much about your year.. if you want to try the one I have let me know.. Ill send it. you just pay shipping

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Yes, the guys over on the NGW forum told me about that one. The charging rate is higher and they run cooler. I can get a new one on ebay for about 100.00 bucks. It's now on my list.

A buddy here is sending a regulator, I'll see if that fixes it for now. Thanks for the site, I signed up.

SHINDENGEN MOSFET FH012AA REGULATOR/RECTIFIER
[/b]

UNIVERSAL regulator/rectifier kit and charging system upgrade kit.
The kit can be used to upgrade 2 wire and 3 wire stator systems on all makes and models of motorcycles.
This voltage regulator is great for replacing existing undersized or obsolete regulators.
The advanced MOSFET construction will run cooler than all OEM diode style regulators.
In addition, this rectifier has overheat protection, rather than burn up it will simply turn off for a while and cool off.
This regulator is capable of 50amps continuous 3 phase and 30amp single phase.

Maxi fuse protected, unlike circuit breakers which over time can get weak and be prone to nuisance tripping.

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

ebanjo, an easy way to check the regulator out put to battery. with bike running put the volt tester on the battery get reading at idel and then increase throttle if it dose not increase voltage then its toast.

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

notodd sent me a used regulator and all is back to normal. I do notice that this one is running alot cooler than my old one did.

[/code]

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Glad it worked lol, had no way of testing it... And it was outside in the weather with attached to the old tank. But I did know it came off a running bike. happy to see you back on the road..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.