Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Administrator
21,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The two things here that have been neglected more than all the rest are my physical condition and the bicycle. It occurs to me that getting one of those things back in working order with a complete clean, tune and a new set of tires, might help in the shedding of my spare tire.

Okay, maybe I'm dreaming, but damn! at least I can try.

I bought the bicycle in 1973 in Portland. My kid brother had a bike and seemed to enjoy it, so...

...so, I looked around and found this new Motobecane, Astra, that appealed to me. According to the bike shop I bought it from, the bike was the value of the century with top-flight derailleur, brakes and all the other tid-bits. It even came with a leather saddle, which I soon discovered was more comfortable with a wool cover.

Some pics; the first being where the poor thing spends all its time, left to rust, I'm sure it believes.

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,391 Posts
I have one very much like that, it has seen about the same amount of use and care as yours. Bought it about 10 years ago, put new tires on it and have never ridden it except a couple times mounted on a trainer stand.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
My Klein bike was 3500.00 10 years back,it has more than 10,000 miles on it,most time people will ride a pricy bike but won’t ride a cheap one,get out and cycle guys,if health permits.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
Change all the fluids, check the vacuum hoses and you'll be in good shape.
I love cycling and I have a chippie Walmart one. I play tennis twice a week so no much time for riding around except when the tennis partner is busy

·
Registered
464 Posts
There sure is a thick layer of dust on that thing there Dennis, you'll get a good workout just cleaning it!

I like that light generator thingy on the rear tire. Reminds me of the one I had when I was a boy. Used to turn my bicycle upside down and peddle it to get the light bright, pointing it at my fishing poles to catch catfish at night. Worked really good.

Here's my bicycle:

Attachments

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,026 Posts
I hosed it off and was shocked by the results. A little detail work and some wax and it will look really good. Oh, yeah, then some tires & brakes, since the ones on there now don't actually work.
Careful big fella, those valve stems look a little crooked. With the speeds that thing is capable you don't want a blow out.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I hosed it off and was shocked by the results. A little detail work and some wax and it will look really good. Oh, yeah, then some tires & brakes, since the ones on there now don't actually work.
Yep you can never be to careful. What if a tire should blow or a brake fail while moving it from one side of the garage to the other. Bike would never forgive you if he got hurt do to your neglect.:grin3:

·
Registered
464 Posts
I think he's just looking for an excuse to use his new air compressor, and BikeJr just happened to be there, if that's it's name of course!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I had one of those expensive bikes when I was in high school, a Peugeot, and you could lift it up with one finger. Was really light and felt as if it had a power of its own when you rode it. Thing wanted to GO.

And them tires are thin on those racing bikes. Careful going over the road drain grates, lol.

·
Administrator
21,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, now I'm in real trouble. The handlebars are tweaked a little to the left and I can't seem to figure out how to move them.

Anybody here know which nut I'm supposed to loosen, or how to line up the bars? Or failing that, where the detonator switch is?

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be the bottom nut. The knurled thing below it is the tension knob for the head bearings. Don't know what that upper bolt is for.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 117 Posts