Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Administrator
21,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I'd say its time for a new one. You may find the newer seats much better.

A new one?!!! That's downright wasteful! A new one will cost more than 9 dollar and 20 cent! Round here that's a heap of money. Now, if I could get one for less than that, I'd buy it, but that ain't gonna happen. So I'll just fix the one I got.

There, good as new!

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
Good thing, if that duct tape didn't leave sticky stuff on your pants, that seat sure would leave some black marks.

New seat: $9.19, Clean pants: priceless

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Oh, wait a minute! Here's an update.

I got a new seat for $9.19 in an auction on eBay.
Humm,add 100$ to that and that what mine cost.My tubes are more than that,u got a deal Dennis

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good thing, if that duct tape didn't leave sticky stuff on your pants, that seat sure would leave some black marks.

New seat: $9.19, Clean pants: priceless
He could solve that problem by removing his pants before riding...:cam:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
It's certainly not a top of the line Brooks. I was surprised when I won the auction as I had only placed an $11 bid.
You should get some good riding with that saddle,

·
Administrator
21,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Well, some quick shipping by the seller got the seat here earlier than expected. It doesn't have the charisma of the Red Green fix, but I think most of you will prefer its clean look. I will be using the simulated sheepskin cover until it won't stay on anymore.

Completion pic of the whole bike will soon be posted. Here's the seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
Now that's a LOT better. After your first long ride you'll sure be glad you got a new, bigger seat. I altered my Shadow Aero seat for the second time the other day, hopefully it won't give me butt numbness anymore. I doubt I could have withstood your first seat, not even sure about the new one. A two hour horse ride a few years ago was bad enough for me, on a hard saddle. I'm a Goldwing-spoiled-soft-seated kind of a guy now. Well, that and my recliner :)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

·
Administrator
21,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Well, first of all, the seat is far from comfortable. I took the bike for a 1 mile ride and was hurtin' by the time I got back. Oh well...

Speedo was screaming by the time I got back. Some lube in the back was all it took to fix that. The derailleurs both need some adjusting. The front doesn't work at all.

Front wheel may need some straightening. You can hear a slight buzz on the brakes every revolution.

I cleaned & wire brushed every nut & bolt on the thing. Also every spoke, inside & out on the wheels, hubs and brake systems, except for the ones I missed. :baffling:

End result though is pretty good. It rides pretty smooth and works well, all in all, but it was much harder to do than I expected.

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
Well, think on the bright side, the next time you go to restore it after it sets another 30 years, at least you'll know all about it.

Nah, strike that. You'll forget it all and have to start all over again.

61 - 80 of 117 Posts