Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I doubt that you have the only bicycle in town.
Have you talked to other riders you meet and asked where they get their work done?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Dennis,you will never get your bent wheel straight,just buy another one,there was a bike shop in AJ but that’s bee a while.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this so I checked CanadianTire which is sort of like Walmart without the food and they have fifteen spoke wrenches in stock.:surprise:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
If it’s bent a spoke wrench won’t fix it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this so I checked CanadianTire which is sort of like Walmart without the food and they have fifteen spoke wrenches in stock.:surprise:
Consider yourself lucky. I decided to try Walmart, Target, Kmart and Sears.

Walmart if you want to order one online from the marketplace has spoke wrenches. Try looking for one in the local store and get lots of unrelated items.
Target nada
Kmart nada
Sears won't even search for bicycle wrench (it converts the search to wrench)

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Dennis,
It sounds like you need to do some upgrades to your bike. New speedometer? New lights front and back? Add a new horn? Specialized tools? It's been many years (okay, decades) since I biked but the best place to shop at the time was Bike Nashbar. 1-877-688-8600 / bikenashbar.com. See if they still put out a catalog. I like catalogs better than looking online because I can look when and where I want. I also find things I would have missed by just looking through the pages. Biking is a world where you can find more things to spend unusually large amounts of money for unusually small parts.>:) In store and online are good but a catalog by the couch is great. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I have spoke wrenches but it a ways away,

·
Just Winging It
3,324 Posts
As long as the rim is not dented or flat you'll have no trouble gettng the the rim trued.

If you ride a good bit it will need done from time to time.

Your little bike is very similar to the one I have except mine has 21 gears which is helpful with the hills we have here.

Keep up the spare tire shrinkage routine.

·
Administrator
21,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Thank you all for the advice, so far. Unfortunately, I'm easy to baffle.

The front derailleur has quit working again and the rear won't move through the whole range.

And the speedo is killing me. If you unhook the cable at the wheel and turn it with a drill, the gauge is smooth and works great. And if you unhook the cable from the gauge and watch it while riding, it turns smoothly.

But, when connected by the cable the wheel and gauge don't play well together. It really seems like the cable is too short and won't go into the geared section of the two entities. My best guess is that the square part of the receptacle in either the wheel, or the speedometer has rounded out.

Can those inner cables be made/purchased in custom sizes?

·
Administrator
21,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Okay, after more investigation, the orifices (orify? :cooldevil:) for the cable are clean and square at both ends, so...

At the wheel end, the cable could go down into the sending unit nearly an inch, so I put a ½" long piece of aluminum rod in the hole to stop the cable from going to the bottom, therefore forcing the other end deeper into the gauge.

Turns out that worked and now, so does the speedometer. Also the odometer now agrees with Google Maps distance measurements.

Good ol' hillbilly engineering. I couldn't be happier.

But, because of that success, I thought I'd try and quiet the constant rattle in the mirror. Of course I broke the glass trying it, and no I didn't quiet it down a bit.

Meanwhile, Bike sits quietly in a dismantled state.

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Yesterday I came up with a flat rear tire, so I went in search of a patch kit. Ken will be happy to know, I found one at a bicycle shop in Peoria. So now I have a local ally/source, a patch kit and a tire tool for bicycle tires.

Still managed a very nice 3 mile evening ride.

This morning I decided to explore a little farther out to a place the map calls Grand Canal Linear Park. Turned out to be a power plant. :surprise:

However, I managed a 5.7 mile ride. Longest so far, with a head wind both ways. Had fun though, so maybe tomorrow I'll ride over to L.A. :grin3:

Pic #1: The official park sign.
Pic #2: The actual park; a small seating area with a view of the Cardinal's Stadium. And yes, it appears there is some smoke coming from the stadium. :?
Pic#3: The odometer is gathering miles now I have the speedo fixed.
Pic #4: Well, it looks like a family is using the park.

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #116 (Edited)
Update.

Thought I'd bring this back up as I've reached a milestone.

The summer limited my pedaling, but I'm back in the saddle and have now accumulated 500 miles since the bicycle was made road-worthy January 21st.

The first pic is of the odo/speedo at that time. The second is from this morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
I call BS. In both photos the speedo is at 0, so there's no way you've covered 5 miles, let alone 500 miles.

:grin3:

101 - 117 of 117 Posts