Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

181 - 195 of 195 Posts

·
Administrator
24,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Dave, where do you wire in the ballast resistor on this setup. Between what and what?
I don't use a ballast on 1100s.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Read through all pages of this three times and have decided to go through with this...went out to my 86 Interstate today to check if it's a black sticker or green sticker....turns out it's neither! It's Blue has anybody else had a blue sticker...the bottom is plastic. I'm going to open it and see what the heat sink looks like

·
Registered
353 Posts
Just did this mod. Couple things I found out:
a) The resistor limits power to the coils. The Neon does not use such a resistor, so it's 12v to the coils.

b) mounting on a fully loaded Aspy was accomplished with four pieces of strap about 30mm long with holes on 10mmm centres, bolted to the stock coil mounts, which bolt back just as Mother Honda would wish. The rear bolt through the top of the coils and the top of the mount, the front just opposite. Gives the perfect positioning, and requires no welding.

Cosmo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just ordered my coil, $15.30 on ebay and the connector for $12 on amazon. The only thing I am not clear on is the plug wires? Do I need to build a new set of wires for an 83 GL1100? If so, what will I need to buy and how do you put them together?

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Yes, new plug wires. Get 6+ feet of copper core wire, 7 or 8 MM. Get some screw-on elbows for the coil end and reuse (if in spec) your resister plug caps. I used a bit of vinyl tape to waterproof the elbows as mine didn't fit snug. I color coded the wires to match the yellow/blue of the primary wire of the original wire harness

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Been thinking about using Neon coils on my 1200 but the 1200 coils are 3.0 primary resistance and the Neon coils are 0.61. I have been lead to believe that using a coil with insufficient primary resistance can cause the ignition module to overheat and misfire until it cools down again, or fail prematurely.....

Any thoughts about adding a wirewound resistor(s) to the coil pack to cause resistance to be about equal to the original coils, and preserving the ignition module?

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/stackpole-electronics-inc/KAL50FB2R50/KAL50FB2R50-ND/6272395

·
Administrator
24,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
You would have to have a 2.4 ohm resistor to match the OE coil. If you have the green or blue label ignition module it should be OK if you add a 1 ohm resistor. If you have the black label it's probably doomed anyway. I have done a couple 1200s with neon coils and haven't had a reported problem with no resistor, but haven't heard from them at all about anything. 1200s are easy, all you have to do to mount it is elongate one of the original mounting holes.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
You would have to have a 2.4 ohm resistor to match the OE coil. If you have the green or blue label ignition module it should be OK if you add a 1 ohm resistor. If you have the black label it's probably doomed anyway. I have done a couple 1200s with neon coils and haven't had a reported problem with no resistor, but haven't heard from them at all about anything. 1200s are easy, all you have to do to mount it is elongate one of the original mounting holes.
Thanks Dave0430, I thought that the Neon coil was a good match? The reason for changing is that my secondary resistance, on the plug wires, without resisters is 14000 ohms, and the Clymer manual says 17700 to21700 ohms. Also I've been running without the resisters for quite a long time, maybe? 20 + years; would that be a problem?
So, you say you have done a couple 1200's; they were for someone else, I presume, have you done any that you know that didn;t have problem.
Also, do you know of any coils that would be a better match for the 1200; mine is an 86 Aspy.
Any info would be good; I've always done my own work, auto/pickup and this Honda I bought in 1989; pertiest bike I've ever seen! As far as stock; had to long to change!
Thanks again W. Everett

·
Registered
160 Posts
The 1200's don't have a resistor in circuit, you can see this by comparing the 1100's wiring with the 1200 wiring diagram. Since the Neon coil is for HEI ignitions it is 0.61 and is listed at that in specifications. I have been lead to believe that the origional 1200 coils were 3.0 ohm. The difference is using a coil with insufficient primary resistance can cause the ignition module to overheat and misfire until it cools down again, or fail prematurely..... and the difference is too large. 1100's have a resistor so it would add to the .61 and be closer..

·
Administrator
24,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
I can now say with certainty a neon coil will work on a 1000. Got my 76 running but no fire to #3, sparks were jumping at the coils. I tried a set of 1100 coils, which work but there is not enough room for them. I checked the amp draw on bot the stock coils and the 80-81 1100 coils, both about 5 amps at idle, the neon coils draw considerably more. I added a ballast resistor from the 1100 coils, 1.5 ohms to the neon coil, in series in the black/white wire and now they draw about 4 amps. Checked spark with my spark tester on the 1100 coils, set at 20K there is a weak spark, on the neon coils at the same setting you can hear the spark, snap. I did have to cut about 2" off the intake horn to make room and built a bracket for the coil. I had already added a relay for the ignition and just use the kill switch to trigger the relay. I do intend to open up the plug gap since there is now plenty of spark.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I have read all of the post on the neon coil swap, however I am not clear on the wiring of the six pin plug of the OE coils to the neon coil. Dave 0430 said to use the ballast resistor in series with the black/white wire. ????? also what do I do with the two center wires of the six pin plug that went to the ballast resistor in the original set up, thanks

·
Administrator
24,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
I have read all of the post on the neon coil swap, however I am not clear on the wiring of the six pin plug of the OE coils to the neon coil. Dave 0430 said to use the ballast resistor in series with the black/white wire. ????? also what do I do with the two center wires of the six pin plug that went to the ballast resistor in the original set up, thanks
Answered in your other thread.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I just mounted my neon coil ..blue.... took the 8mm spark plug wires off a 2005 pontiac grand prix and mounted the old plug ends on them to fit the spark plugs took out the resisters on them and found some heavy springs to make up for the resisters that was taken out.hard wired the wires from the old connections and soldered them with liquid tape and srink tubed them before the tape setup.mounted ride in place of old coils. And mounted a relay in the black wire to take any issues away later. Did not use the ceramic resister on this upgrade the bike is doing allot better but i think i might need to regap the plugs. Plus i went with a little hotter plug.

181 - 195 of 195 Posts