Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello All,

Hope this is alright to post this in this forum,as this is just something I stumbled onto,while looking up laptops.
Just thought this may be of interest to someone here. TigerDirect has (refurbed ) Acer Aspire One Netbook/Laptop's for $210 + 1.99 shipping. Sometimes the refurb scares everyone. They have a full factory warranty. Were I work the IT dept buys quite a bit of refurb components. Nothing wrong with them.
Here's a link:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Sku=S445-89001

Hope this helps someone.

Take Care,
BC

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

I'd be a little wary of buying laptops from Tiger Direct that it represents as having "factory warranties."

Dell sues Tiger for reselling old boxes as new

Dell is suing a former licensed US reseller, TigerDirect.com, claiming "repeated and blatant violations" of its resale contract, including trademark infringement, misleading representation, unfair competition, and false advertising.

In an April 17 lawsuit filed by Dell in New York district court, Tiger is accused of - among many other things - selling old and out-of-date Dell computers it purchased from other resellers while claiming they were brand new and shuttled directly from Dell. Tiger was also fingered for telling customers the antique boxes were covered by Dell warranties when the warranties had expired long ago.

Furthermore, the Round Rock PC giant accuses Tiger of using a modified Dell logo on its website that "mimics and bastardizes" the Dell trademark.

The complaint claims Dell's attempts to contact Tiger with its grievances were partially or completely ignored. In some cases, Dell says, Tiger would partially address a complaint "only to embark on other acts of infringement and false representations virtually immediately thereafter."

Read more at the link above.

·
Registered
819 Posts
imported post

I bought one of these Acer Aspire One AOA150-1777refurbs from Comp Usa It comes with XP and has worked exceptionally well. I have had it for about 6 months and can not find anything to complain about. The only draw back I can see is that it does not have a CD drive, but I already knew that before I bought it and we just don't use that many CD's on the road anything else gets put on SD cards.

The mainreason I bought this Netbook was to takeon the bikewith me.My old dell laptop took upalmost half of one of the saddle bags. This machine is much smaller at just a little over the size of a paperback book.

The built in Wifi connection has worked good everywhere I've tried to connect, at Home or on the road. I also have it set up to connect to the Internet through my cell phone when an Internet connectionis not available

The screen though small has extremely good resolution.

I have loaded MS mappoint on it and have a USB GPS and have used it a couple of times to figure out where I am, I've been tempted to make a mount for the handlebars.

Mappoint is also good for planing routes when Wifi and Google maps are not available and can show you where all the restaurants, gas stations, hotels and other points of interest are. Those of you with built in or handlebar mounted GPS would probably not need this feature.

We also use it for Email, to download pictures from the camera (120 gig Harddrive), watch movies, and on occasion when they can find me log into work.

Peter

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
imported post

It is a nice little unit. My wife has one. You can get a portable CDROM/DVD unit that plugs into the USB. Its small and wouldnt take up much more space its about 100.00 bucks I think.

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
imported post

For a few bucks more I went with the ASUS HE1000, 10 inch screen, 160GB hard drive, WIFI B,G,N, Bluetooth, 1.3mp camera and a 9.5 hr 6 cell battery. I can actually get up to 11 hours on battery if I run it lean.
Outstanding unit, and with such a long lasting battery you could actually leave the charger at home for bike trips of a week or less.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

I have an Acer Aspire One that I bought several months ago for use while touring on the bike. Like it so much that it's now the only computer I use at home and on the road. The 3 cell battery only lasts a couple hours but I just plug it into a little inverter on the bike.

Q

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

I think HP is now advertising a similar mini laptop pc for $199.

JimC in NC (USA)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.