Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neutral light on in all gears

18K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  BensGL1100 
#1 ·
imported post

My neutral light stays on threw all gears. Just the switch or should I be worried?

#2 ·
imported post

Ur neutral switch could be bad or came out of the gear positioning forks (did anyone have the front of the tranny off for say a new water pump recently?). More likely, the wire that runs to the neutral switch got pinched and is grounding out.

The neutral switch turns the light on by connecting the wire to ground. So if the wire gets pinched and is permanently grounded, well, your light stays on!

#6 ·
imported post

Yeah, it shouldn't be a big deal. I have owned a few bikes that the neutral light never worked on, and never had a problem. If it were mine, I'd probably just disconnect it.

#8 ·
imported post

The biggest thing you have to worry about is starting it in gear without the clutch. That could create a problem

#9 ·
imported post

BensGL1100 wrote:
Ok it didn't do it when I first got it just started today on the charity ride.
On an older wing like yours and mine, it's more usual than unusual. It's nothing to worry about, though. Just make sure you're between 1 & 2 when you push the starter! ;)

#10 ·
imported post

Yea my 79 does it now and then. It is usually a little brighter in neutral. I think it is just junk in the oil that is shorting out the switch as it lives in the engine oil.
Wilf

#11 ·
imported post

Find your gear position switch, you should see a plug close by. Unplug the switch then check to see if the light is on or off. If the light is on you might want to find where the short is, there could be a power wire in with that group getting ready to find ground also and this is a bad thing! If the light is out then the switch or switch wires arebad. You might be able to clean or repair (I don't know what the 1100 switch looks like) and if not look for the switchfroma bike that is being parted out. At this point at least you will know if you have a safe condition or a possible "standing on the side of the road with smoke coming from your bike" condition.

#12 ·
imported post

chas.weaver wrote:
Find your gear position switch, you should see a plug close by. Unplug the switch then check to see if the light is on or off. If the light is on you might want to find where the short is, there could be a power wire in with that group getting ready to find ground also and this is a bad thing! If the light is out then the switch or switch wires arebad. You might be able to clean or repair (I don't know what the 1100 switch looks like) and if not look for the switchfroma bike that is being parted out. At this point at least you will know if you have a safe condition or a possible "standing on the side of the road with smoke coming from your bike" condition.
Will do that right now.. Thanks didn't think of it being a wire north of the plug thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.