Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

ok here we go hope you can help, when i have my wing in nutral the small green light is on that is nornal but when i drive everytime i pull the clutch in to shift the green light comes on is this normal i have a 81 gl100 wing

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

No not normal.. but not hurting anything either.. most likely the "neutral diode" is shorted and needs to be replaced..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

on your wing there are two ways that allow you to start the bike.... either in neutral, or with the clutch in.... both wires feed into the same circuit... feedback into the other circuit is prevented by a diode (a "gate" which allows the electricity to only go "one way")

as Jim meantons a bad diode will allow feedback, also, you may have a bad neutral swith... it is located in the cover where the water pump is housed, and is activated by the cam mechinism for shifting

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
..., also, you may have a bad neutral switch......
Hey Rodger... By his description, I think the neutral switch is working normally.. Jim

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure where the diode is on the 1100. On my 1200 it was under the seat, or the false tank. Can't remember exactly, but I know it wasn't difficult to get to. The diode is easy enough to check. It should be on a plug so you can remove it. Just use an ohm meter across the leads of the plug. Check it both ways. If you get a reading in both directions, then it's bad.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

looking at the schematic there...the diode 'should' have been wired into the circuit AFTER the light no ?

reminds me of my first bike..a harley built in italy and imported to the states..EVERY wire went through the headlight bucket..and incidentaly every wire was BROKEN after I reached a certain number of fork/steering turns to the left. Some imports aren't worth it, let me tell ya !

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

i am a little confused i dont even know what this diode looks like or where it is like i said i got a gl1100 and ya would like to kill this problem i put a new starter on when i ogt the bike and a new starter cyl just to get it going do you think i might of messed up something the cyl was very simple to put on and really dont see how i could of messed that up, bike starts and runs fine but i hate thet light AUHHHHHHHHH!

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

Things can happen despite anything that you have or have not done to the bike, should be able to follow the wires from your starter relay towards the clutch switch to find the 'branch' that leads to the diode. I'm removing the carbs in my gl1100 today so will do the search for the diode as well. At least I will know where it is on mine.
(82 gl1100)

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

The is a diode located on the Main Wiring Harness on the inside of the left bike frame. I only see one diode (called silicon rectifier on the schematics, 1980-1983). You have to remove the Air Box to get to it.
Following the Main Wiring Harness forward, look/feel for a lump just before where the harness tees off to other places. Mine was wrapped under tape but outside the Main Harness tape wrapping. It has Green/Red and Light Green/Red wires connected.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

My 1980 GL1100 did the same thing and i have been puzzled why just changing the starter would cause the problem. looking at the wiring diagram its called a silicon rectifier. any ideas?:shock::shock::shock::shock:

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I believe it is the small 1/2 x 1/2 diode that has an "L" shaped male plug. I may have a pic. Is that correct Mr. Jim?
Thanks,
David

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

olefart1 wrote:
My 1980 GL1100 did the same thing and i have been puzzled why just changing the starter would cause the problem. looking at the wiring diagram its called a silicon rectifier. any ideas?:shock::shock::shock::shock:
Coincidence.. changing the starter will not damage the diode.... just the heat and old age.. (partcularly the later)

[and David.. I've never had to change mine.. so can't say what it looks like....]

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

Tks for the reply. I know its under false tank. just replace it and keep on riding. Just hope when i go to sleep tonite everything still works tomorrow. Roll-Tide-Roll

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I could not find the pic, but I have one right in front of me, and many numbers are different on these, but any 80 thru 83 should work. The one I have Is part Number 9A15MJ.
Hope this helps.
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
imported post

olefart1 wrote:
It's made of silicon for one. Rectifier. When you rectify something, you change it, the diode allows current flow in only one direction. With Alternating Current (AC) it goes back and forth, just as in our homes, it goes back and forth 60 times/second, when you put a diode in there, it can only go one way which is the same as DC voltage, Direct Current. When the current trys to go back the other way, the diode blocks it. Hows that.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

is the diode expensive and does anyone have one to see here, i mean is it is a dealer part for like 5 bucks i wont look for one but if it is like 100 bucks i will have to look for one on the net

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

Well, I started to search for it while my mechanic-in-training worked on removing the carbs...then it started to rain and I had to step in to help get the procedure done before my heads filled with rainwater..it certainly wasn't evident under the seat..but I did see a load of electrics when she pulled the airbox. Tomorrow is supposed to be the start of nice weather here so will have another look.

blake44130:
Last time I bought a diode it cost like 50 cents at radio shack. This one may be more pricey..but a match shouldn't be hard to find, or wire for that matter.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Blake,

I think I have a picture of it. I too have an 82 (Aspencade) and have had the false tank of off of it. I remember seeing a brown or beige little box in there by the blinker (round silver can in the picture). It will have the Diode symbol on it.

Though this is a poor quality picture to help answer this question, it’s the only one I have. I am not sure why, I photograph everything else. In any respect, it is under the false tank for sure. I do remember seeing it there and that seems to be where all the engine electrics are.

Hope this helps you some.

Tim.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.