Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My neutral light stays dimly lit when the bike is in any gear. It goes noticeably brighter in neutral. I've read other posts and tried an oil flush today. I also cleaned the outside of the switch with contact cleaner, around the wire.I noticed this happened right after i added some Lucas oil additive to the crankcase, just a couple of glugs, about 10 days ago. Since then, i added about 6 ounces MMO when the oil needed topping up, ran about 200 miles, then just changed oil today. It was Motul semi-synthetic in the bike, which had one change since i got it this year, after sitting for about 4 months. The bike has 60k km on it. The oil was pretty inky, black. Put 10w40 Castrol GTX in instead, and it runs real smooth now, shifts great, but neutral light is still on.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Don't think the "Lucas" did it?

I gave up on mine being on and shining on the wind shield , so I black taped it, haven't missed it at all !:baffled:

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

oh, most definitely the Lucas gloobed it up internally!

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Run some engine flush through it , maybe twice!

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
imported post

My indicator had the same problem until very recently. Actually, twice before it started working correctly (turning off when in gear) after a hot day, but didn't last but a few miles. However, out of the blue a week or two ago, theindicator turned off and has stayed off (unless in neutral) since.

My bike had sat for over a year and most likely gummed up. My guess is it took some heat and time to free up the glob. Looking at the indicator out of the bike (I bought a replacement, but never installed it due to the difficulty of the job) there is not much circulation of fluid through it, so hard to remove a glob of gunk.

Bottom line for me - an oil change and about 1000 miles did the trick!

ps I have a spare working neutral switch if anyone wants it... :)

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Here's to the next 1000 miles of un-gloobing my switch:jumper:

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
imported post

I have a 1980 STD GL110; Similar problem if not he same: Mine works properly until the engine warms up. It started out, over a period of several months, flickering on occasionally, then it decided to stay on most of the time, glowing brighter in neytral. Think this might just need cleaned?

If I need an enigine/oil cleaner, what is the type to use, and how much?

I got to this posting somewhat late, but for some reason I didn't think of searching for a solution to this other than replacing the switch. I found out today that there are no longer replacements available (new).

I am going to do the testing to see if the diodes might be the problem, if not tonight, then by the weekend.

I would appreciate any input on this,

I am currently using Black Velcro as a solution, as black tape tends to get messy in the heat.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
imported post

mag's posts keep re-appearing! i wonder if he will....
hey, sell that beemer and get on back over here...:cool:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

I had the same issue with my neutral light staying on in all upper gears. On my previous oil change I hadadded a Qt of Lucas oil additive. It seemed like a good idea at the time. After about 2000 miles the neutral lightstarted staying on occasionally. Then more so until itstayed on all the time, dimmer in gear, brighter in neutral. Last week before I changed my oil I drained about a quart of oil and added a quart of Gunk motor flush and ran the motor for 5 or 6 minutes. That really seemed to clean out the system.I didn't notice any difference for the first 10 miles or so but now afteronly 40 miles or so it has cleared itself of the problem, gradually at first, now completely. I think if I had put it throughthe gears while it was running with the oil flush it might have cleared it up a little quicker. Oh, if you usethe flush be sure to change the filter, too!.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.