Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

This is my first post. I recently bought a 1989 GL1500 with 21,000 miles on it. I am having a problem the Neutral light sometimes works and sometimes not any ideas as to what it might be. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

Hi Flightwing, welcome to the forum. This could either be a faulty neytral switch or just a bad bulb. As the bulb is easier to repolace than the switch I'd suggest changing that first. :waving:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Does the bulb ever come on when the bike is NOT in neutral? Could be just a dirty connection at the bulb, or a bad connection at the switch or a connection between the two. Some of the 1500 owners can help out with wire colors and where the connectors are. Try tapping around the bulb area when the bike is in neutral and see if there might be a bad connection at the bulb.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Might be dirty connection on reverse lever give the reverse switch a clean with contact cleaner.:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Sam the light never comes on when the bike is in any other gear but neutral. It is just that when the bike is in neutral sometimes it is on and sometimes not.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Have you tried engageing & disengageing reverse,does reverse light come on and then go out & neutral light come back on? :waving::waving::waving:

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
imported post

I have the same problem with mine, I just figured it was wear on the switch, but maybe I'll look at it a little closer sometime. It is more of an inconvenice at the moment, although it would be nice if it worked all the time.;)

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

You describe an intermittant problem.

Could be the switch, the wiring, the bulb holder or the connections.

Intermittant = Hardest to diagnose correctly.

Need to do some further troubleshooting.

Trouble shoot the switch check continuity both open and closed.

Look at the wiring for obvious signs of wear.

Check the bulb and bulb holder for corrosion.

Unplug all pertinent connections, check for corrosion and apply silicone grease to help weather proof.

One area you may want to look at closely is near the top triple clamp, you'll have to remove the trim around the ignition and the plastic cover over the top triple clamp, both just pull off. The wires are held in place (out of the way of pinching) by a zip tie affair, make sure the wire looms are indeed secure or the neutral light will be only your first problem.

I'll try and get a picture of what I'm talking about when I get home this evening...before the margaritas.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

I cured the problem it was just a sticky reverse lever switch, cleaned it with contact cleaner works every time now. Thanks for all your help:clapper:

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

I have a similar problem the light works fine but on lenghty trips when the engine is warm i have a hard time hitting neutral, mainly at toll booths. any suggestions? 1981 gl1100 70000 miles

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.