Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about to strip down and take the gear position sensor out. Question is can it be repaired as the only ones on ebay are for the valkyrie or will they do the job.
Cheers Bash

·
Administrator
58,763 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have checked the light green and red and there's no continuity but there are only 4 wires in the block. It is a 1990 bike.
Cheers for the help guys.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha sorry that was about 8 bikes ago.
Have a tester think that can put positive or negative to a wire as required so tried putting earth to the neutral wire and the light came on so have spent the day taking the switch out, taking it apart and carefully filing round the brass bit that contacts for neutral, then put it all back together and neutral working a treat.
Happy days and thanks for the help.
Cheers Bash

·
Honda Guru
2,013 Posts
I’ve never torn into a 1500 switch (88-90 & 91-00) but it looks very similar to a switch from a VF1100S or C. Repair was very simple but time intensive. That’s what made replacement better than repair. But it is possible if another replacement isn’t possible.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was maybe an hour playing about with it. When i plugged it back in to check it before putting it all back together it didnt work but i soon realised it needed to be touching earth.
They were £122 for a new one from the local dealer and they told me in all the years they had only ever replaced 1 so it probably wasn't my problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Stalled at a light

I thought it was just a design flaw. I have stalled at a stop light a few times. Instant PANIC MODE Because it won't start until I get it back to Neutral. Can I just unplug that kickstand sensor? It's dangerous when it happens because I am in take-off mode(rolling) didn't have enough throttle on it. then (because of panic) or not rolling enough to give me time to react and have to come to a full stop to get it in neutral. Before I can RESTART and put in back in gear to get the hell out of there. I did change the grips when I got it a couple years ago. I'll be checking the operation of the side stand switch. Just wondering if I can just unplug it. I don't care about the SAFETY FEATURE.

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
The problem is the micro switch on your clutch lever. It is not making contact when you pull it in or the switch is bad. Since you have replaced the grips recently, that is likely your trouble. Sometimes they interfere with the lever pulling all the way in enough to operate that switch so it will start when in gear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the fast reply Larry. I just checked it. The plunger is moving freely. Do you have and tricks for me to try other than changing the grip. I like the little bit of sponge on the grips. I suppose I can cut out the contact area of the grip that the leaver stops at. trashing the look and feel of it. The lever does have a bit of play/wobble to it. I don't know why? It's only 24 years old "LOL". I changed and bled the fluid recently. It has full hydraulic action going on.

Attachments

·
Administrator
58,763 Posts
you don't need to change the grip, you need to replace the Lever, AND the BUSHING ..

The lever is worn down where the little knobbie is that presses against the microswitch. and the Bushing is worn out also, allowing the pivot point to move outwards. the parts are super cheap from Honda.

some folks put a tiny bit of Super Glue, or JB Weld on the end of the knobbie, let it cure good, to lengthen it out a bit so the microswitch will click.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts