Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have been chasing down electrical problems on my 1984 Aspencade. It seems the previous owners didn't know much about electrical and wired a ton of extras into the aux power circuit without using relays. I have found burned and melted wiring harnesses all over the place. I am slowly replacing it all as problems occur.

The issue at hand now is the starting system. The bike used to start fine when in neutral only, but not with the clutch disengaged.Then it would not start at all after another short was found in some wiring. I found a bunch of melted wiring on the top of the starter solenoid. I assume it overheated when running at night with all the lights on the other evening....I cleaned it all up and replaced the connectors, still no start.

I found the problem at the clutch lever - the switch there was broken.Fixed that and now it starts when the clutch lever is pulled in, but still not when in neutral and with the clutch lever out. I checked the wiring from the neutral switch - the red/green wire from the switch is grounded when in neutral and the neutral light turns on, so I must assume it is working ok. There is a diode in the circuit between the neutral switch and the solenoid. I tested it with a volt/ohm meter with a diode setting- I got no reading one way and a reading of 6.25 the other way. The diode is stamped with the number 3.5. How do I know if the diode is bad without replacing it?

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

If you mean that the diode measured infinite ohms with the test leads connected one way and 6 ohms when connected the other, then your diode is fine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.