Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:waving: As usual, it's months before I get a chance to write on this forum, but in April I move up to a beautiful Wineberry 1500 with only 64k on it. The great part is it was close to free. I had my 1100 Aspencade parked in the parking space and next to me was a Harley 1200. There were three empty parking spaces to my left. A tow truck driver hauling a caravan decided to take the space next to my bike. He then hit my bike, tipping it over into the Harley. His insurance company gave me $3200 for the damage and I fixed most of it myself, with the main damage being the breaking of windshield. However I made a great deal ona 1500 so I sold the 1100 for $1500. It still ran great and besides for a few scratches, like great. The guy who bought it loves it.

Dan, the person who owned the 1500 had two of them. He also had a motor-home that hadn't ran in two years. Computer was bad and he was quoted $5000 to replace it. I got the computer replaced plus 5 new batteries for $2300.00sohe gave me a great price on the bike. Just$3800.00. :claps:Not a bad deal.

My wife Sandy, loves the bike and we use it to commute everyday. She loves the comfort of the back seat, and I got her armrest plus hook up for my Ipod. She's set to ride. We did go down a few weeks ago up in Lake Arrowhead, when a car blocked my path, but no damage to the bike or either of us. Sandy wasn't scared at all.

The bike handles so much better than my 1100 both on the freeway and in the mountains. Love the extra power! Gas mileage ranges from 33-38 most of the time with one trip to Lake Arrowhead get 47 on the highway. I drive 70 most of the time.

The bike is a lot heavier and around the parking lot it's a bear to steer, plus I have a flat spot just above idle so it makes it hard to take off, but other than that, it's great.I also love cruise control and having a cassett player. I use it for the ipod. I just need to get the carb's taking care of (i know there in there somewhere) and I will be good for at least another 5 years or more.

Hope everyone is doing well. Best wishes.:banana:

Jerry Kubitsky

San Diego

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,687 Posts
imported post

Start running Sea Foam in every tank of fuel until that flat spot goes away. Worked for me on two different 1500s.

Given time, it will dissolve the solids in the idle circuits.

However, that assumes you have no vacuum leaks.

:claps: good news on acquiring a 1500. They are a tremendous machine. I love mine.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

Great looking scoot there. I moved up from an 85 Aspy to a 93 SE and simply love the added power. While I DO agree somewhat on the red being the fastest color it ONLY applies to a VTX and Candy Apple Red!!!!!!!!!! Now on a wing its Barbados Blue Metalic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Been runnig Sea Foam but still has a flat spot off idle. Just haven't had the time to pull things completely apart. May take it to a shop and have them check it out for vac leaks and sync the carbs. I have the snyc tool, but not the time to do it. Thanks for the help.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Not when you have all that leather stuff on the bike. :whip:. Must slow you down by at least 10mph. :ROFL:

Jerry

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

Jerryk wrote:
Been runnig Sea Foam but still has a flat spot off idle. Just haven't had the time to pull things completely apart. May take it to a shop and have them check it out for vac leaks and sync the carbs. I have the snyc tool, but not the time to do it. Thanks for the help.

Jerry
If you wern't so FAR away I'd have you come over and we could do it. I have the guages. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

Jerryk wrote:
Not when you have all that leather stuff on the bike. :whip:. Must slow you down by at least 10mph. :ROFL:

Jerry
I only wear it in the summer when the air is thicher and EVERYBODY is slowed up!!!!!!!!!!!:badgrin:

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I have to say that is the one thing I don't like about the 1500. Lots of crap to take off just to get to the air cleaner. Everything was right there on the 1100. It was like my 66 mustang. You could see the engine. The 1500 is like a new car. Engine? It's somewhere down there.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

Jerryk wrote:
I have to say that is the one thing I don't like about the 1500. Lots of crap to take off just to get to the air cleaner. Everything was right there on the 1100. It was like my 66 mustang. You could see the engine. The 1500 is like a new car. Engine? It's somewhere down there.

Jerry
I'm inclined to agree with you on that. The 1200 was easier and the 1500 is more difficult. I can't imagine what its like with an 1800...... PHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Jerryk wrote:

Jerry
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
Wait until you see what you have to do on an 1800 if you think the 1500 air filter is fun. :cool:

·
It aint rocket science
3,924 Posts
imported post

I just got through going thru my carbs. The 88-89 models were jetted too lean and could develop a hesitation on acceleration off idle. There was a factory fix for this, you can check your ride to see if it has been done. It is no longer available though.

Mine was done and has no hesitation. If your carbs check out OK (accelerator pump and float levels) you may want to rejet to the 90-91 models which have 60 and 158 sized jets instead of the OEM 50-155. Others have reported positive results.:action:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500 Service Bulletins/1500SB2.pdf

JD

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

Glad to see that you got a great deal Jerry, but I must tell you that the other posters must have different system than I do as I see no pic. where there should be a pic only shows--- "Attachment: ( Downloaded Times)" I went to your gallery but all I found there was that very pretty pic of your 1100. From what I can tell from your Avatar, she is a beaut!:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

:bow:Thanks for the info. I went ahead and changed to fuel filter today and it was pretty dirty. I also put an oz of Marvel Mystery oil in the gas, based on what I read on the forum. The nice thing about San Diego is our riding season last a long time. Even in Dec we have nice days so I need to pick a time that I want to just have the bike sitting for a week or so.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

Hey Jerry nice bike!! I have the same one. I had the same flat spot when I bought mine. Copious amounts of Seafoam and a sync cleared it up.

VTX......do those deer whistles work?:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

KAHUNAH wrote:
Hey Jerry nice bike!! I have the same one. I had the same flat spot when I bought mine. Copious amounts of Seafoam and a sync cleared it up.

VTX......do those deer whistles work?:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
WELL, I've not hit a deer yet!!!!!!!!! But that applies to the VTX too. And I live and work in and near state and federalgame preserves. I really DON'T think they work though. They were there when I bought it.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

From what I have learned from some pretty smart people, (mostly self proclaimed smart) the deer whistles do not work, but I too have not hit one on the bike, so as far as I'm concerned, they stay on till the day I do hit one.
:18black::dance:

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Here are a few pictures of both my old 1100 and my new 1500.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I forgot how to combine pictures so here is another.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.