Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay guysI have a few questions.

I recently upgraded from a 1200 to a 1992 1500i. It only has 38,00 mile on it.

#1. the throttle seems tight. What I mean is when riding it my hand starts to hurt and the throttle seems tight? Any suggestions

#2.neither of my cornering lights work at all. I have checked the fuses and all are good. I can not figure out why they are not working.Are they really worth having or should I just replace them with drving lights on a switch?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

The throttle should not really be tight, you could try oiling the cables.

The cornering lights normally plug into the wiring loom to use as cornering lights with the indicators, ie they only come on when the indicators are turned on and only the side that is flashing, however a lot prefer to modify the cornering lights and have them on all the time, how they have done this is up to the individual, i would be tempted to remove the lower panels and trace back the wiring.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

i had the same prob with the trottle there is 2 cables involved + a lot of linkage you did not say that the trottle was sticking i changed to after market grips witch are ticker than the stock and fitted a trottlerockerthat gives me more leverage problem solvedhttp://www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sdetail/938

·
Ignoramus Primus
303 Posts
imported post

Throttle was tight on my 1500when I got it with 34K on the odometer. I lubed the cables and it helped a lot, but they still seem a bit tight to me. My old 1200 had a very light, easy to turn throttle.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the conering lights were only standard on the SE model. If someone added them to your Interstate but didn't wire them up all the way or wired them up to a separate switch then they wouldn't function as cornering lights. Is there an "unknown" switch somewhere on the bike?

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
imported post

Sometimes when new grips are installed, the throttle grip is installed to far and it binds on the switch housing. :waving:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

1500Winger is right.

That is one of the most common things that happen to any bike.

The Gorilla Grip glue does not give you much time to play around, So some grips get pushed up too far and can not be pulled back.

One trick I use is to cut a U in a piece of thick cardboard like the back of a paper tablet and put that over the handlebar where the grip will meet the controls.

This will give you the space you need so the grip don't rub. Plus this will help to not let any glue touch parts that shouldn't get glue.

Lubing the cables can not hurt, But on the Wing this job can be tough.

Good Luck

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

#2.neither of my cornering lights work at all. I have checked the fuses and all are good. I can not figure out why they are not working.Are they really worth having or should I just replace them with drving lights on a switch?

I'm sure you checked this already, but.....have you checked to see if the bulbs have simply come loose ? My cornering lights did the same thing....they simply "bounced loose" due to the bad roads here in SC & vibration. One bulb completely fell out. I cleaned the terminals with WD-40 & put in new bulbs....they work fine now.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

NeedleNick wrote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the conering lights were only standard on the SE model. If someone added them to your Interstate but didn't wire them up all the way or wired them up to a separate switch then they wouldn't function as cornering lights. Is there an "unknown" switch somewhere on the bike?
What type of a "unknown" s/w are you referring to nick ?

·
Ignoramus Primus
303 Posts
imported post

< What type of a "unknown" s/w are you referring to nick ?>

Since his cornering lights were added to the bike, they may be hooked up to an add-on, non-factory switch somewhere on the bike.

I've owned several used vehicles that had an "unknown" switch on the dashboard that never seemed to do anything. It's purpose was "unknown". :baffled:

That is what I meant.

·
Slow Learner
1,485 Posts
imported post

The throttle rocker mentioned above is the best $10 you'll ever spend. Cyclemax is the place. Both lower corner bulbs died on my 95 1500I. OEM or not I don't know but I replaced them with bulbs from BigBike for $3 a piece and they work great. Lemme know if you need the part number and I'll PM it. Good luck!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The 1500 Interstate didn't have any lights on the lower cowl, just the cutouts where they go. So if yours does they most likely were added by a previous owner. I'll bet pretty good odds your lights are set up to stay on when switched on, not very likely the PO installed the circuitry to make them work as cornering lights. That's better since the cornering lights are pretty useless, when the bike leans in a turn the turn lights are pointing almost straight into the ground. Best bet for you would be to trace the wires back, either there's an added switch to control those lights or they are connected to the headlight wiring. Have you checked both high and low beam to make sure the lower lights don't come on with one of them?

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

I have a '91 Interstate and I added the cornering lights. They plugged right in and only operate with the turn signal. The plug was there from the factory.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Didn't know that, then maybe slevans168 has cornering lights after all.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thanks for all the replies. After tearing it down I found that both bulbs are junk. I read on here somewhere that you can use the cornering lights as drving lights by clipping a wire. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone. I would rather have the driving lights than the cornering lights. I know I can buy the driving light kit, but if I can use the ones I already have I would rather.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi if you go to the goldwing tips in the menu on the right hand side the layout is there

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

both bulbs burned out on mine and i have toggle switches on the right side plastic cover next to the steering opening. cyclemax is the cheapest i found too. get extras they dont last real long if you leave them on all the time like me

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.