Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a 78 with single carb(Cycle Innovations single barrel Holley) and Motorvations Formula II sidecar, PLUS a 77 parts bike in Independence, KS. Just picked them up yesterday evening. The sidecar came with the convertible top, manual lean system, and fuel system. The 78 runs but needs some cosmetic work. I also think the carb needs rebuilt. I'll have to figure out what the carb model is. The 77 is missing some parts, some of which are on the 78. I also don't have a title for it. If I could get a title, I could make it a running bike. I have most of the parts needed for it.

Here's some pics from when we got it here yesterday.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

I know what YOU are doing this Winter !

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

You betcha! Hopefully, I'll be putting everything from the 77 into a titled frame. I have most all the parts to fix it up. The 78 runs now. I'll work on the cosmetics and rebuild the carbs this winter. I want to remove the floorboards and heel/toe shifter for now. It's a really lousy setup. Real hard to shift. If the heel/toe was a decent one, I'd leave it on there.

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Congrats Larry!!! :claps::claps::claps:

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

There were 2000 of the C.I. intakes made. The first run was for 1500 the second only 500. The company dissolved shortly after the second run, leaving most of the 500 second run systems unsold. No information on what happened to the unsold units. The carb for the first run of these intakes was a Holley carb model number 1945. The second run of them used a different Holley carb that was a bolt on replacement for the model 1945 carb. Here is a link to the installation guide for carb system you have.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mwyhewnjntd

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

If you have any interest in selling the C.I. system i'd be more than interested in buying it.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks Broke! Turns out that was part of what Russell gave me with the bike. Sorry, don't plan to sell, at least not at this time. I've been wanting to try a single carb setup. I have been watching my brother's thread on his EFI setup for the GL1000 over on NGW. If that can be done for a decent cost, I'll be trying that later also. The carb needs cleaned and maybe rebuilt. I know the settings are off from what Russell talked about it. He was trying to adjust it and was adjusting it wrong from what I have read. He had the sidecar on a BMW 750 and moved it to the 78 wing. The 750 didn't have enough power. I hope the 78 does.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

These carbs are pretty much set it and forget it. The rebuild kits haven't been available though for the last like 4 years. Most of the gaskets you can make from gasket material. but the accelerator pump...yeah no yer kinda ass out for that.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
There were 2000 of the C.I. intakes made. The first run was for 1500 the second only 500. The company dissolved shortly after the second run, leaving most of the 500 second run systems unsold. No information on what happened to the unsold units. The carb for the first run of these intakes was a Holley carb model number 1945. The second run of them used a different Holley carb that was a bolt on replacement for the model 1945 carb. Here is a link to the installation guide for carb system you have.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mwyhewnjntd
The rebuild kit I've bought on the CI used carb is for the Holley model 1940 carb. Warner part number 15507A.

I have a couple of the CI kits, and there was at least 2 designs of the manifold, possibly more. There was a lip under the top plate that needed to be oriented to one side, and one kit had the lip on both sides, so orientation didn't matter. I have one of each style.

For a while there the guy was selling manifolds only, since he couldn't or wouldn't get carbs for them.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

The 78 should be fine with that sidecar. I had one just like it mounted to an 1100cc Moto Guzzi. If you run into any problems with the sidecar, Contact Mary at Motorvation, Inc. in Sibley, Iowa. They will treat you just as well as if you just bought it new. If for some reason, you decide to move it to a different bike, her installer, Gary will even tell you which parts you can reuse.
As an example. When I bought the car it was mounted on a 2003 Harley Ultra. Instead of having to buy a $1200 kit to move it to my Goose, Gary sent me a parts blowup for the Harley and my Guzzi so I could compare part numbers. It took one $75 part to make the conversion.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thanks for the info SidecarMike. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I like having it on the 78. Hopefully I can get the carb working good. Right now it won't idle, and the throttle return isn't returning very well. Supposedly we'll be back in the 90's vice 100's next week and I can work more in the shop. I want to have it running the roads in September. My wife will be out of her back brace then and can hopefully enjoy it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.