Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Thought I`d let you know that I have just purchased honda alternator for my 1996 brand new in honda box half the price of the shop . Now i know that some don`t like shopping on e/bay But thats where it is. there`s one on there now item no 7911390656 i had it in a week not bad for USA delivery few left!

also other parts enquire with seller!

cheers all

peter

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

$375 plus shipping from UK sounds very good. I wonder if they are a good crop or some of the bad ones from 1998-2000 that gave problems (usually under warranty)?

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi I`m not aware of the faulty alto`s but seller did say that he`s not had any reports of faults.

As reguards my own unit that packed up 33,000 mls 96 1500 could that have been one of the faulty ones.

peter.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

While the alterantors on the 1500 have proved to be the most reliable of all the Goldwings, there were quite a few failures (more than usual) on the 1997-2000 bikes. I know plenty of owners who had their alternators replaced under warranty, some of them dying in under 5000 miles. I'm not saying that the ones for sale on Ebay are suspect, but I wonder what Honda did with all the suspect units that were already packed and had to be taken off the shelves. Do they offload this stuff cheap or destroy it?

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

I have been wondering if I have a good alternator or a bad one. I have been debating on buying one as a back up.Wonder if the Honda dealer would replace it under warranty? haha.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

For that price why not just buy a Compufire and have a stronger unit without the mystery?

Another alternator related question. Does anyone know if it's possible to take a stock alternator and upgrade to the Compufire specs?

·
1,695 Posts
imported post

the alternator on the 1500 ,is 235 us dollars ,from f.ex. "HONDA DIRECT LINE" in Florida , + FREIGT , IMPORT TAX AND VAT (total apr. +40 - 50% )

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
imported post

Wow, the Compufire would be about a grand.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Yeah, I been reading everthing I can find about 1500SE alternators for my 99. I guess I'll go for an aftermarket 90 amp new unit. I found some on a website for $299.00 Plus shipping. I don't know if the compufire brand is any better. (?) If anyone has bad experience with "other than Compufire" 90 amp units, please speak up! Thanks, jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

If you need an alternator for your 1500 or 1800 Gold Wing
Check out this web site, he is a retired electrician and knows about GW alternators, you can get one from him or you can rebuild your own with his DIY Info.

http://mysite.verizon.net/resp3jbj/

I have one coming should get here today. roboted

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

wpgfire wrote:
For that price why not just buy a Compufire and have a stronger unit without the mystery?

Another alternator related question. Does anyone know if it's possible to take a stock alternator and upgrade to the Compufire specs?
The Compufire body is bigger so i would guess no..

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I got in touch with Mr. Hemmings, and looks like he's the guy. At $170.00 shipping included, I can't complain! He rebuilds them and stocks them, so you don't have to wait for it to get redone. He says he completely guts them and replaces all the components with higher quality stuff, and rewinds them with superior winding wire with thicker insulation laquer. Sounded like a straight shooter to me, so my alternator is going for a bye-bye ride to Indiana! jimsjinx

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

I purchased an alternator from Mr Hemmings and have been very happy with it. It has been on my bike for about a year now (10000 miles)

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Good pookie!

I bookmarked Mr. Hemming's site. Good to have. Here is a prime example of a hard working American... an electrician... a retired dude... who has identified a niche market and is providing a very valuable service at a reasonable rate.

Saaaa-lute!

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

My sentiments exactly. Give an American a fightin chance. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

Has anyone shown this site to any dealers? I am in the market and my dealer tells me it can't be rebuilt. Need new about $360

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Call him! He is really helpful, and I searched the web for over a week. Nothing out there for as reasonable a price. I'll let you know how mine works out, when it comes. jimsjinx

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.