Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
I have nothing at stake with this group but if you are ever looking for a new and improved trailer hitch ball then this may be for you. I installed one of these bad boys on my bike this weekend and wow, what a beauty! It makes my chrome hitch (with slight rust on it) look pretty shabby! I'll let you decide if the extra clearance is of value when you tow a trailer, it was for me! I got the one on the far right in the photo below (new generation).

The pic below is a comparison to the Rivco anodized aluminum ball (left), a ball from a production runmade some time back (center) and the newest generation ball (right). The new ball is slightly taller with an even smaller "shank" or "neck" (0.750" OD) than the previous generation to allow even more swiveling clearances. The balls are constructed from 17-4PH material (171ksi...twice as strong as commercial heat-treat 4140 steel) and will never rust, peel, flake or the like. You could pick up your motorcycle with this ball and shake it hard without a ball issue.

Order information:They have set up a PayPal account (trailerballs @ yahoo.com) which is, also, their email address. A young lady named Jennifer will be the one processing the orders. From my recent experience, I can say with confidence that she gets stuff done promptly and efficiently.

The price for the trailer balls is $50 flat-rate shipped anywhere in the United States. A good price considering the raw 2" material is over $24 per unit. I'm sure they would be more than glad to ship outside of the US with an adjustment in shipping cost.

If you have any questions about purchasing, shipping, etc., please direct them to Jennifer at the above email address.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

guardian wrote:
Halfling, What happened to the pic of this new fangled towing ball.? :?
It's there (twice now). Can you not see it?

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
imported post

I can see it

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Do they have a website?

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

No website, it's a machine shop that just happens to have a Goldwing rider working there and they came up with this item to make in their spare time between jobs. If you're interested just send Jennifer an email at trailerballsat yahoo dot com and tell her John (Halfling) sent ya!

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

I have found that balls with the longer neck put too much stress on the mounting hole and nut causing them to come loose or wallow out.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I don't think this bad boy will come lose, it has fine threads instead of course and the nut is a lock nut. I could be wrong of course as I'm due to be wrong sometime soon, so... I'll keep an eye on it this season and report back at some point.

Here's a pic of it installed....

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Halfling wrote:
I don't think this bad boy will come lose, it has fine threads instead of course and the nut is a lock nut. I could be wrong of course as I'm due to be wrong sometime soon, so... I'll keep an eye on it this season and report back at some point.

Here's a pic of it installed....

THAT IS JUST DOWNRIGHT PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURTY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:claps:

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
imported post

Wow, good looking hitch ball, small neck allows more swivel too.It's worth having two pictures [posted of same view. How hard is that stuff to cut I wonder, in case one would want to cut all except maybe two or three threads off below the nut.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Haven't tried to cut the excess off yet but I bet it's hard stuff. They are considering making a chain receiver to go under the ball (see pic) so I am going to leave it as is for now.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Hello this is Justin, the machinist that makes the ZBX trailer hitch balls. In our next run (if we have the orders to support it) we are thinking of shortening the shank but if you would like to order one now and would like it to be shorter just add that in the email and I will adjust the length accordingly at no charge. That should take the hassle out of it for you. Thank you and please inform your fellow riders about the trailer balls if you please.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

No, thank you. The stud length is 2 3/8 to accomidate for a Rivco aluminum hitch and a special designed spreader bar chain separator, but if anyone would not need the extra length, one could just specify the length they might need and I would accomidate for them, thanks again for the interest.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

To answer your question we do not have a website just yet, this is our first run of the second generation balls and we are trying to see how well they do before we go any further. We do have a listing on eBay or you can email me and Jennifer at [email protected], if you would like more pictures we can provide them. Everything is handled thru PayPal or we will accept money orders.

Thanks in advance,
Justin
ZBX balls

·
Pwhoever
3,084 Posts
I know this is an old post but somehow I missed it the first time around. Maybe its because I didnt have a hitch back then but things have changed. I just ordered one as I really like the idea. I have the smaller car tire on the back so I figure I need as much swivel as possible. I also like that it is a little taller as I am considering switching from 8" tires to 12" tires on the trailer. I figure I could give this thread a bump for amyone else that missed it like I did. But if you are considering one, you may want to decide soon because they only have a few left and may not make them much longer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.