Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Wondering if anyone has the new avon cobras on their 1800?

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

I have been keeping a eye on other posts on other sites with these tires. So far most of the reveiws have been good. However.... most of these same posts are with new Cobra's or some with just a few thousand miles. There have been a couple posts where the tires have seperated at the belts.:stumped: Few reporting tread wear to miles. But the ones I have seen indicate they are about the same for tread life as other tires. The best reports are that the Cobras seem to really stick to the road under all conditions and do not "roar" after a few thousand miles like Dunlops.:action:

So in my book, the jury is still out on the Avon Cobra's. I have seen that they average about $40 more per tire than the other brands. I would hope they would have overall performance making the extra cost worth the investment.:baffled:
I'm not closed minded to this tire, but for me I want to hear a few detailed reviews from people who have actually warn out a set or two.
:clapper:Anyone out there who can share????:waving:

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

I had Avon's on my 1500 when I bought it. I wasn't there when they were put on so I don't know how long they ran but they did get chopped up pretty bad. One thing I noticed is that the rear was much wider than the E3's I put on it. Also watch in the rear tread pattern - and I do mean in - the tire looked to be pretty good until I peered down into the tread groves - I could see the belt in there almost like the tire had split in the grooves themselves - really hard to spot.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

tybme wrote:
I had Avon's on my 1500 when I bought it. I wasn't there when they were put on so I don't know how long they ran but they did get chopped up pretty bad. One thing I noticed is that the rear was much wider than the E3's I put on it. Also watch in the rear tread pattern - and I do mean in - the tire looked to be pretty good until I peered down into the tread groves - I could see the belt in there almost like the tire had split in the grooves themselves - really hard to spot.
The avons I'm referring to are a new radial tire made for 1800 wings.Avon has been making all types of tires for motorcycles,but The avon COBRA tire is an all new radial unlike their other VENOM brand which wore out in no time for me,so I'll try These and see how they do....

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

Just bought a set of Stones, first set. Have worn out 3 sets of dumblops in 23K. Keep us posted on the Avon's. :waving:

·
Premium Member
62,948 Posts
imported post

I'm running the Avon venom in front, Stone in the rear.. You're right I've gone through the Avon pretty fast.. 11k into the wear grove on the side walls, center is still good.. I really like the way they stick, there quite and no cupping but I'm changing the front to a Stone to see if it'll go father..
Gads how do you get 23k out of a set of skins???? You got to be able to see the air.....................

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

I wish I could get 23k per set. :shock: You misread. That's 3 (three) sets (front and rear) in 23k.:) Seems like everytime I change underwear I am changing a set of tires.:D Hopefully the Stones will do better.:baffled: Them Dumblops just cup themselfs to death.:stumped:

·
Premium Member
62,948 Posts
imported post

I stand corrected.. The other bikes I've had with Dunlap's have been poor performers and had bad cupping.. The 1500 I have had a dun on the rear when I got it.. It was just starting to cup at about 4k when it tried to digest a very large nail.. The stone I have on the rear now looks like new at 6k.. No cupping yet and it's very quiet......

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I know you are talking 1800's, but I've got my second Bridgestone on the rear of my 1200 and so far love it.

I do all the curves I can find here in Florida to wear on the sides some but I have been getting alot of miles out of them.

Yes the middle does wear out first down here.

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

lostinflorida wrote:
I know you are talking 1800's, but I've got my second Bridgestone on the rear of my 1200 and so far love it.

I do all the curves I can find here in Florida to wear on the sides some but I have been getting alot of miles out of them.

Yes the middle does wear out first down here.
I'm not ruling out Stones. It is just most of the folks that like them come from the 'warmer states'. So a 'harder' tire would work well there. Here, on the other hand a softer tire (sticky) is better, what with wetter (and colder) road conditions.

I've had harder tires and they don't do as good in rainy conditions and the softer, sticker, tires do. Other than long distance touring, I don't have the hot, sweltering, roads, that much, here.

So the idea of a softer tire doesn't bother me as much, as it might if I lived in Arizona or Florida. If that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

I like my Bridgestones so well, I'm afraid to try anything else.
Don't think I'll find anything better than the Stone's

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

My 07 1800 came with Stones and have just about 17,000 on the set. So far very happy with them. Been up to Michigan twice this year in all types of weather and roads. Probably change them out in the spring with a small report.
Longboater,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.