Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 GL1800
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a new OEM set of brake pads on my '03 GL1800. Had a little trouble getting them in, but I attributed it to having to lay on the ground to get to them, but nothing big. Went on my first ride afterward and could hear a sound like they were rubbing, then I remembered an old mechanic friend once told me that they will make that sound. Rode for about 45 mins and started to slow down to pull into the house and the back brake started, like pulsing...almost similar to what ABS brakes feel like when you brake on ice. Got off the brake, slowed with the front brake and tried it again, only at a slower speed...like about 20mph...same pulsing. Got it in my shop and on the center stand and felt of the rotor and brake caliper and both were HOT! Let it cool overnight and rode it for about 3 miles the next morning and it didn't do it again. Any suggestions what the problem might be?

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Did you check if the caliper pistons were moving "freely" in the "bore"....???

Also, is the "return hole" in the master cylinder open and clear of any obstruction....???

Does the fluid flow freely in the brake lines...??? No blockages in the brake lines....!!

You did replace the brake fluid and bleed out any air in the system....Right....???

Just a couple quick thoughts...!!

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
You have to be careful with the inside pad especially, it is easy to not get the upper end in the slot.

·
Registered
2003 GL1800
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you check if the caliper pistons were moving "freely" in the "bore"....???

Also, is the "return hole" in the master cylinder open and clear of any obstruction....???

Does the fluid flow freely in the brake lines...??? No blockages in the brake lines....!!

You did replace the brake fluid and bleed out any air in the system....Right....???

Just a couple quick thoughts...!!
Brake fluid was changed about 1200 miles ago. Brakes were functioning fine up to after I changed the rear pads. Even then, they were working fine earlier in the day.

·
Registered
2003 GL1800
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have to be careful with the inside pad especially, it is easy to not get the upper end in the slot.
Is it possible that I didn’t get the caliper spread out far enough & that’s what caused problems Installing the new pads & is now causing a drag causing the brakes to get too hot?

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
Is it possible that I didn’t get the caliper spread out far enough & that’s what caused problems Installing the new pads & is now causing a drag causing the brakes to get too hot?
No, you would not be able to get the pads in if the caliper was not spread enough.

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
552 Posts
Even if the caliper was not spread completely when you installed the pads, the first time you pumped the brakes everything would compress to where it belongs (assuming the pads are in their proper positions).

·
Registered
201 Posts
Only my two cents. You have something hanging up. Caliper, pad in crooked, something. Its making the rotor hot. The rotor might be toasted and might not. Take it back apart and see what is wrong. Cars do the same thing with the pulsing.
David

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Unlike cages. the Bike Caliper pistons don't have a dust Boot that is attached to both the caliper piston & caliper, to keep the dirt off the bikes caliper pistons.

So the rule for good operating caliper pistons is to "Clean them before they are pushed back into the caliper".

Brake clean and an your wife's toothbrush do the job (Just don't ask her first to use it - lol)

The other overlooked part is "Cleaning and re-greasing the caliper slider pins".
Caliper's need to move freely (Relax when brakes are released)

Brakes are important. Having them work properly is just as important. And extends pad life.

Never use a screw driver to force the pistons back into the caliper after cleaning. (Lazy mans brake pad change)

Rotors don't like to be pried on!!.

I Always -
1.Take the Calipers off the caliper mount,
2. Clean the pistons,push them back in the caliper,
Use an old pad with either Channel locks or a C-clamp to draw all three back in evenly.
3. Clean & re-grease the slider pins!!

I rather take the extra time knowing everything is working like when the bike was new.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts