Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here, nearly new to me '87 Aspincade.

Old battery wouldn't hold a charge long enough to start the bike in the colder weather. Up till recently it started good and I've been keeping a battery tender on when I don't plan on using bike for a week or longer. I decided to buy a new battery (OEM from the dealer). After installing it, the bike won't crank over. It was fully charged before installation. Lights work, and battery tender says battery is fully charged however the voltage indicator (aftermarket) does not show any green lights.
Key on, press starter button and nothing happens except a click down near the battery. Starter relay is a month old. I've checked all the fuses I could find.
I can't find any loose or disconnected wires, the terminals and wire ends were cleaned with fine grit sand paper.
What could I have screwed up???

·
Registered
653 Posts
If the battery is the only thing you changed, I would look at the battery connections again, or any wires that you may have missed putting it back together.

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
Why don't you try a jumper from your car/truck battery (engine not running).

New batteries can fail..............!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Have to agree with DBohrer,and tirejoe !
I had the same thing happen,on my '84. Took the battery back,and got a different one,and it works fine !

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem solved :)

Seems that my ever so handy battery tender is broken. It indicates a full charge when a full charge is definitely not the case.
So, instead of a worn out battery and a fully charged batter, I had 2 dead batterys.

I found this out when I attached an older tender to the old battery and left it for several days. This morning I took out the new battery and put the old one in and the bike started better than it has for weeks.

So, I did what any good biker would do and went for a 100 km ride in the nice fall sunshine. :waving:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.