Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just replaced the Battery, but the bike wont start. When I try to start the bike I only get a click at the main fuse (the fuse is good). What should I look at next? Could it be the starter? I have not had any problem with the starter, matter of fact I had no problem's until some kid's turned the CB on, and left it on for about a day and a half before I found it.

What should I check next?

First Timer

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Check the connections at battery, and at solenoid. It doesn't sound like starter.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
imported post

Connect a test light to the starter cable on the starter and the other end of the test light to a good ground . Try and start the engine .If the test light lights up you possibly have starter problems. If no light go back to the stsrter solenoid and check for Batt.power to one side of the solenoid.Next try to restart the engine and then check for Power on the other cable comming off the solenoid. If you hane no power the solenoid could be at fault.There is one other wire that feeds the solenoid from the ignition.It is a small wire. Check for Batt voltage when you try to start the engine.If you have no power on this one you could have problems in the starter switch,, neutral switch oor even a fuse blown. It is a process of elimination. Hope this is of some help to you . Good luck

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Tkanks, hey I've been to Onalaska, I was stationed at McCord in the mid seventy's, and I have an Uncle who lives in Tacoma now. I'd sure like to ride that way one day.

When I got out of the Air Force I had a Yamaha, and I rode it back here to Austin in 76. Went down Hwy 101 and took a left on I-10 in L.A. . Now I dream of going back the same rt to see what has changed, and what I missed.

Anyway, thanks, I'll check the solenoid.

First Timer

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Check your negative cable for good ground & check postive cable between battery & solenoid for a voltage drop under load.

Sounds like a connection problem. If solenoid clicks then it's normally OK.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Maybe lame here, but is it one of the batteries that need to be charged for 9 to 10 hours before installing it?:baffled: The PO of my 82 had bought one right before I bought the bike from him. Said he couldn't understand that he had to jump the bike before every start. I asked him did he do an initial charge after putting the acid in.....the look in his eyes gave me the answer. Took it home charged it over night and so far so good.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

as above the clicking is the relay making contact.... could be the contacts are corroded at the relay.... but before replacing the relay as everyone else has said, clean all the connections INCLUDING where the negative terminal connects with the frame and the engine

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Check for voltage at the starter, asyou press the start button,which should be minimum 10 volts and if you have it there then you do have starter problems.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

This thread has been a big help to me, as I've been experiencing the same problem.

A few times this season, it seemed that the battery was weakening... or so I thought. The starter was often 'sluggish' when trying to turn the engine. Finally, I just got the 'click' of the starter solenoid and nothing else. But a battery jumper pack didn't help.

After verifying full voltage on the starter with a DVM while pressing the start button, I sought the help of my trusty rubber mallet. Sure enough, a couple of soft whacks on the starter while holding the starter button got it to move again.

So now, the mallet is in the bag for the (very short) rest of the season, and I hope to use the great info I found in the 'GL1100 Starter Motor Refresh' article in the Bikers Workshop section this winter to clean it out and refresh it.

So, as a noob to this forum, I just wanted to say thanks for the advice here, and add the suggestion of trying a rubber mallet on the starter while holding the starter button. It helped finalize the diagnosis for me, and may get you back home. :cooler:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,764 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum, John. The rubber mattet thing is good thinking but don't beat that beautiful eleven too hard. If it thinks it's being attacked, there's no tellin' what it might do.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum also.If the hammer idea works, great, but carrying a hammer around with you sounds a little Harleyish !! :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

Hi Logicprobe, That is a great looking GL1100 you have there. Looks like it has been well maintained.

And WELCOME to the forum. :waving:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.