Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Battery

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  englishted 
#1 ·
imported post

Went to go for ride and battery was not strong enought to turn 1200 over. On checking found cells were al most dry. Can I top up with water or do I need new battery, also what can cause them to go dry. Battery is 2 and a half years old as far as I can tell.

#2 ·
imported post

Youshould use distilled water to refill the battery, but I know very few people who do that. City water works just fine. If you have a battery charger use it to help bring the volts back to where they should be.
There is water mix in the battery and water evaporates... that's why it went dry.

If the battery gives you trouble, take it to a local auto parts store and they can test it for you for free. (most do it for free) Most auto parts stores sell motorcycle batteries. Being that's it's over 2 years old.. you may have to get a new one. (maybe not)

#5 ·
imported post

Take the battery to a bike shop and they will refill with acid for a couple of dollars. Then put the battery on an Optimate or Battery Tender for 24 hours and you will get a lot longer out of the battery tahn just putting distilled water in.

#6 ·
imported post

Or you can get a great new battery that never needs water from Hawker Energy called an Odyssey. I have one in my 84 1200 and it works great. Dry cell, more cranking amps than stock and it will never leak acid on your pipes. And by the way, you can let it sit on a shelf, without charging it for a long time and you don't damage it, like a wet cell, if you run it completely discharged. Also comes with a 5 year warranty.

Vic

P.S. Checkthe outputvoltage from your charging system. If it's overcharging it will dry out(boil over)your battery like this.

#7 ·
imported post

chief43 wrote:
Went to go for ride and battery was not strong enought to turn 1200 over. On checking found cells were al most dry. Can I top up with water or do I need new battery, also what can cause them to go dry. Battery is 2 and a half years old as far as I can tell.
Running a battery dry can warp the plates and ruin it, all depends how long you ran it like this. You may be lucky, but get new acid in instead of just water. Check your regulator as well. Apart from not checling the battery regularly (neglect), the next most common cause of batteries running dry is a faulty reg, the reg overcharges the battery and the acid boils off.

#8 ·
imported post

KISS....Keep it Simple Simon! Add water, charge it, if it doesn't hold, get a new one. But you should check your battery regular, I'll top my up probably 2-3 times a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.