Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Replace my battery on 1982 Aspencade 1100 starts great runs great volt meter at 14.9 volts at drive speed but stop at a light with all my lights on an the volts drop to 8 volts after 2 minutes riding it is up again but in traffic it is down for a long time. Hope someone can tell me if that is normal or not. Maybe a solution to this . Thank you all. Ken

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Not normal to have it drop that quickly unless you have a bunch of extra lights or electrical load on the bike. One cure would be to replace the extra lights with LEDs to reduce theload on the electrical system. Even without extra lights prolonged slow riding such as a long session of stop and go willcause the voltage to drop, especially in hot weather that keeps the fan running. Usually a few minutes of faster running will bring the battery back up.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

The volts you are reading are the volts your stator is putting out.at idle it should put out at least 10 and running above 3,5000 14 or so..8 sounds a little low at idle but if you have extra lights they are drawing down the current and effecting the readings. But I am no expert but I think I've got it right.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Have you cut off the connector to the left of your battery with 3 yellow wires going into it? if you have not, pull it apart & look for burning inside the plug. If you still have the white plastic connector in place, cut it out, re sodder the 3 yellow wires together & seal ith shrink tube. Make sure all major connections on the bike are clean!

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

82 did not have digital. Most 1100s did not have stator plug issues. I would check the stator plug and the dogbone fuse on the starter solenoid. Most of them go bad and should be replaced with a new type fuse holder.

John

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

I solved all my problems with my 83 Aspencade by coverting to LEDs. All lamps except for the headlamp have been swapped out. The difference will make you smile. The rear Luxeon LEDs are brighter than stock lamps and the volt meter always stays up, even at idle. I would highly recommend changing to LEDs on any Goldwing given the fact that there isn't much charging capacity to start (no pun intended)with. If you have aftermarket lightbars, change the lamps on those too. You'll be glad you did.

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
imported post

Spider007 if you have more than than the stock( original) lighting, you are likelydrawing more voltage at slow speed than the stator will produce. Takes about 1100rpms for my 82 to hold the low beam and tail lamp at 12v. Radio on, applying the brakes and turn signals on when stopped will drop the voltage. Then if the fan comes on it drops so that I have to raise rpms to 1500 to 2000 to stay above 12v on the meter. Usually not a problem unless you kill and start several times along with slow speed driving and or short rides. A good investment is a small charger or battery tender to keep your battery at full charge when not riding if you have a place to plug it into when parked overnight or a few days.:waving: Keno

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Dadoo wrote:
82 did not have digital. Most 1100s did not have stator plug issues.
Actually I've seen three 1100s that had heat damaged stator plugs that I spliced out. The 1100s don't seem to have stator failures as often as the 1200s but the plugs and sockets have the same problem of corrosion and overheating.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.