Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello everyone. Just found this forum in time. I have a chance to buy a 1987 1200 wing with only 30 something K miles. The owner said the fuel injection has been updated ( was this a problem? But here is my question what is and what about the thing called the stator? What should I look for before buying this bike? I suppose I could expect to get thousands of miles from it. I have a 81 cb750c now and it still runs great.What about parts etc . Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Also>where my son works there is a 1978? wing (first year one) they took in on trade for a scooter that is for sale for around 1150. it has 79000 on it if interested.

Thanks again. Jim

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

Good morning Jim. I just purchased an '86 wing with 80,000 miles on it. 30,000 miles on a wing is nothing. My bike had the stator replaced by the prior owner. From what I understand there are some inherit electrical issues with these bikes that can result in stator failure if not taken care of. These are

1) Main fuse unit connector - left side of bike beside the battery. Connector can fry resulting in a short.

2) White connector on wires from the stator. Connector can fry resulting in a short.

If these connector's short out the result can be a fryed Stator. See numerious posts on Stator in this forum.

You should ask if the stator has been replaced, check the connectors mentioned above. You could also have the charging system checked to ensure the output is at or above the specifications.

Also,

Need to religiously replace the timing belt according to maintenance schedule. i believe the schedule is every 60,000 miles.

Take care,

David

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

JLD wrote:
Hello everyone. Just found this forum in time. I have a chance to buy a 1987 1200 wing with only 30 something K miles. The owner said the fuel injection has been updated ( was this a problem? But here is my question what is and what about the thing called the stator? What should I look for before buying this bike? I suppose I could expect to get thousands of miles from it. I have a 81 cb750c now and it still runs great.What about parts etc . Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Jim, the "stator" is an integral part of the charging system (generator)& is bolted to the rear engine cover inside the rear engine cover (engine has to come out to access it)..

If that 1200 bike you areare looking at is a fuel injected bike (it sounds like it is) that would have the better stator in it already..

The problem with the Honda 1200 Wing stators is many,, mostly related to burnt wiring & wiring connectors at the stator to regulator harness (by front of battery) & burnt connector at the starter relay (just rearward of battery)..

Most potential stator problems can be eliminated by removing the burnt or (factory) connectors & hard wiring the 3 yellow stator pig tails directly to the regulator then replacing the starter relay fuse with a sealed automotive 30 amp fuse & fuse holder..

I have eliminated both connectors mentioned above on my personal 1200 Wings & have no problems with the stators what-so-ever for years..

There are many published problems with the 1200 stators on this site& all the other Wing web sites but I have yet to read of a (verified) statorfailure if the connectors are removed & the wires between the stator & voltage regulator replaced & up-sized, & the starter relay fuse is replaced with a different type, & the wires between the voltage regulator & battery replaced with slightly larger gauge wireprior to the stator connectors & wiring burning, oxidising, or corroding..

Iftoo many accessories are used for the generator's oupput that could also lead to early stator failure but most are due to corroded connectors & burnt wires.

My best suggestion to you would be to put "stator" or "charging system" or "connector" or related words in the search box at the top of the page & read till your eyes water..

JDC

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Hi Jim and welcome to the forum. The 1987 models didn't have fuel injection. Only the 1985 LTD (two-tone gold & tan only) and the 1986 SEi (two tone pearl white & tan) has FI. Stators are not a worry on the SEi as a much bigger and more reliable unit was fitted to those models.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks guys. I thought sure the guy told me he had the fuel injections updated. I thought he said it was the first year for it on the wing. But I dont know I am new to this machine. Any thing else I should check before buying and is 3500-4000 about the right price?

also the wing at my son's shop is a 1981 with 97000 miles . My mistake. I am going to ride it home this weekend and get a feel for gold wings.

thanks Jim

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Hi Jim,bought my 84 wing in 2001 with 23k on it, wasn't even run in. Over the last four years Had to change thecoils, timing belts, Stator (not as difficult as you might be led to believe), a couple of batteries, wheel bearingsand fitted stainless steel exhausts. Apart from the usual wear and tear maint, tyres,brakes etc. and the addition of a fewextras,screen, new seat, spot lights12cd changer! the only other problems I'vehad havebeen the old electrics starting to need a bit of TLC.

All parts are available and often come up on Ebay, even original parts are reasonably priced

She's now 21 yrs old andwith 78k on the clock and I wouldn't change her for anything.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey JLD :waving: Your very welcome to the best forum onthe net. :clapper: You dont say what country you live in. :whip: Those amounts of money that you state are they Euro, Dollers -(Aus)(U.S.)(Can), Sterling, etc. :crying:If you could take the time and update your profile and tell us where you reside :jumper:it will help these guys to get you sorted. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Ok. I have updated my profile. Sorry I am not used to this "small world" we live in now but man is it neat to be able to talk to people from all over this beautiful world.

The money is in US dollars. So do you think 3500-4000 is a good deal? I am not sure if it is an Aspencade or Interstate. I dont know the difference either, like I said , I am new this machine. But I did ride the 1981 today for only 35 mile and it was nice.

Thats the one for sale at my sons work. 92700 miles and I was impressed. I think the wing is higher on my short list of bikes I. I should also say I am soon to retire and will do alot of day rides and maybe only one tour of 1500-2000 miles .

This is a great forum , Thanks. JIm

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

John,

While I am all in favour of you buying a wing, I am concerned about the fuel injection part. If that wing is fuel injection, it simply is not an 87. If it is the first year of fuel injection, it has to be an 85 LTD, otherwise the only thing it could be is an 86 Sei. They did not produce a 87 with fuel injection.

Aspencade vs. Interstate is a trim level issue, Aspy's are full dress and Interstates were more spartan.

Your price is not out of line, but it depends on what you are getting. If it is a fuel injected model then you are in line.

The stator is not an issue if it is fuel injected as it will have the 500watt larger stator, the non FIs are 350 watts and have a poorer history.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Jim,

I just sold a 1986 fuel injected SEI for $3800 so your quoted price is in that range. I'd be interested in knowing just what was upgraded on the fuel injection. As far as I know there wasn't any changes from Honda on it. As the guys were telling you only the 85 LTD and 86 SEI had fuel injection. The regular Aspencades and Interstates had carbs as did all the 1987 Goldwings.

If everything is working right on the fuel injected bikes they really perform great. They start right up cold or hot, there's no choke and they usually don't take any warm up, they'll got to work right away. Fuel economy is in the low 40s. Be aware though that these two model bikes are very complex compared to the carbureted models. Lots of electrical circuitry and sensors. Great bike but you need to be prepared to do a lot of your own work on them as there aren't all that many who can or will.

You might want to peruse eBay to get a feel for models, prices and mileages. One good thing about the Goldwing is that mileage is a bit irrelevant, these are very long lived machines. It's common to see mileages over 150,000 miles without a major overhaul. I'm biased of course, but it you are interested in a large touring bike there's no equal!

:waving::waving::15red::waving::waving:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.