Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was needing a lift table to use for working onmotorcycles and that I coulduse for other things also. I gota building guide from AFAB for their motorcycle lift table andmade a fewmodifications.

The basic design was not wide enough for me to feel comfortable while loading or sitting on a wing because your feet had to be positioned too close to the edge of the lift so I made the table 3 ft wide, feels secure and comfortable.

I also added an 8 ton air over hydraulic long ram jack to raise and lower the table, a homemade wheel lock was made to secure the bike and hold it in position so that one person can position the bike on the lift and tie it down.

We're working on my daughter & son-in-laws wing so its gonna get some good use. Just had to put the bike on the lift to try it out and it works great. All that's left is to give the lift a good coat of paint and we're ready to get their bike back together. It'll feel great this winter not to be sitting or laying on the floor whileworking ona bike.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

nice job. i built the afab a few years back but mine doesnt have the 4 short uprights on it. i guess you needed them for the hydraulics? I didnt get as fancy as you and just use the floor jack. I i made mine 34 wide with 1/4 inch aluminum top and put stops on both sets of legs. If I find some more steel at a decent price I want to build another one. JB

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks UbarW and JBz, I really like the lift, think it'll be real handy.

The cost of the ram jack wasn't but about $10.00 more than the floor jackAFAB recommended (caught it on sale at HF). The 4 uprights were added to protect the ram jack but to also give the table a more stable feel and to take unnecessary pressure off of the lift when loading a bike as heavy as a 1500 or 1800 Wing. I'll add the second set of safety stops later, was using material I had around the shop and ran out.

I haven't decided yet if I want to add aluminum on top of the table. I thought about getting some check plate but it may be too hard to keep clean, could go with plain flat sheet aluminum but thought it might be too slick. Kinda had in mind to usepaint that has the non slip surface feature.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

:cool::cool:Good job. I like the safety bar set up too. Now build a inside frame and make a drop door so you can drop the rear wheel off the bike, or you can always just move the bike back, support it with a floor jack and let the rear hang over the end. Looks big and stable enough .

Yep I think you did good on that one.

Kit

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

TNroadrider, how wide is your table, oh, great job by the way,:clapper: now back to my question, I am interested because I want to build a lift for my trike. I like what you did. :goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hi Kit and thanks, you actually read my mind on the rear tire, that's one reason the bike is on the lift and that is to get measurements to make a removable section for changing the rear tire.

I thought about using a small sissor jack to lift the bike and place it on the center stand, that way the front wheelcould still belocked and with the table panel removed changing a rear tire should be a piece of cake. I have extra steel bracing welded in place under the center stand to provide extra support just for this purpose and my first test at putting the bike on its center stand with the front wheel secured worked fine.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
TNroadrider, how wide is your table, oh, great job by the way,:clapper: now back to my question, I am interested because I want to build a lift for my trike. I like what you did. :goofygrin:
Thanks Bob, the table is 3 ft wide X 8 ft long. I didn't notice any flexing of the steel used in the construction and the 8 ton jack lifted the table and bike with ease. Thereis notthat much more weight on the trike solifting it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Slow Learner
1,485 Posts
imported post

Who or what is "AFAB" and can I get a set of plans from someone? I need a lift and have the skills and tools to build one. Just don't want to fool around making 10 non-working prototypes. No sense reinventing the wheel.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Very nice work TN.

I don't have room in the garage for a lift table so I use my Snowbear trailer with the low sides, put in the bike towing sled I made with the locking front wheel chock and lift the HF bike lift and use that inside the trailer when I need more lift or need to get at the wheels for work there. Puts the bike at just the right height for me for most work.

Works good when the weather permits, which is most of the time in Jawga.

If you had a shop with a tall ceiling you could do this trick in the shop as well.

Just ride the bike onto the trailer as if you were going to tow it and then pull it to wherever you want to work on it.

Hey if you get in trouble with it, you can just pull it on up to the dealer for service, in pieces if necessary.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

QDaddy wrote:
Who or what is "AFAB" and can I get a set of plans from someone? I need a lift and have the skills and tools to build one. Just don't want to fool around making 10 non-working prototypes. No sense reinventing the wheel.
Hi QDaddy, here is a link to the AFAB site, check out the photos from others who have built this lift and incorporated their own ideas into it. The lift was designed basically for the HD Cruisers but with the fuller size of the wings I adjusted the width to 3 ft to give it a more stable feel.

Hope this helps:

http://www.afabonline.com/table_lift_plans.htm

Hi ya Rudy,

Thanks for the comp. I had thought about using my trailer but I alsoneeded another table in the shop. With thislift I can work on my tiller or lawn mower with ease. I build a few v8 engines for some of the racers around here so I have plans to make an engine stand to bolt in place of the wheel lock and use the table as a tear down and assembly area also.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

TNroadrider wrote:
Hi ya Rudy,

Thanks for the comp. I had thought about using my trailer but I alsoneeded another table in the shop. With thislift I can work on my tiller or lawn mower with ease. I build a few v8 engines for some of the racers around here so I have plans to make an engine stand to bolt in place of the wheel lock and use the table as a tear down and assembly area also.
I see it now, so much for the bike lift it's now a engine stand, did you tell the boss that. :cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
I see it now, so much for the bike lift it's now a engine stand, did you tell the boss that. :cheeky1::cheeky1:
Oh she's used to it now. It doesn't bother her as long as I'm out in my shop, that wayI'm not under foot in the house and that keeps me out of the dog house. :cheeky1::cooldevil:

The weight of the tableshould counter balance the weight of a v8 engine supported from one end. Figured as long as the table will be in the shop anyway might as well make it multi functional.

·
Slow Learner
1,485 Posts
imported post

Thanks TNRoadrider and BrokeWinger. With this much info and all the great advice I'll fabricate something and it won't cost much either.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

That's a good looking fabricating job...

After sitting on the concrete floor yesterday to do one side of my S-I-L's valve cover gaskets and doing 1/2 my rear tire today,

I WANT ONE!!!!!! :cheeky1:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.