Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 86 Aspencade that im in love with and I have a 2002 Harley Road King. I want to get a new 1800 but I cant make up my mind on the year or the model they are getting so dam over priced like every thing else. In 82 I bought a new 1982 Aspencade for 7K with all the goodies. My other question is about ABS. Are they worth the extra cash?

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

I think the ABS is absolutely worth money. There are some excellent deals to be had on the 08's right now.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

ABS is very much worth the money. If you can find one on sale as a package deal with the airbag that is worth the money too.

Anything that is safety related is always worth the money.

ABS, airbag, some headlight and tail light modulators and you have an even chance or at least a more than average chance.

But they are now making an airbag jacket, it inflates if you leave the bike, but an airbag would be the deal if you have a front on or collide with a deer.

Kit

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
imported post

ABS, ABS, ABS, everytime, it's like an insurance policy. You hope you never need it, but you know it's there if you need to grab a handfull.

:action::action::action:Ride safely

Steve

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

A warm welcome to the site meatmanhr, good to have you on board. :waving:

another yes vote from here across the Pond, but then again all the Wings we get here are fitted with it on the European spec bikes, no matter which model in the range. Before everyone gets too miffed that we get it as standard, don't forget we don't get the colour range and nore do our bikes have "plug and play" for add on items. :(

As for the ABS, I am one like the others so far who like to know it is there if I need it.

Enjoy the forums and visit often.

:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

Remember none of the safety options are worth anything until you need them then they are worth every little penny they cost you and more when they save your @$$.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

When I bought my 08 GL1800 last May I was thinking about ABS. What turned me off is it raised the price up $3500, mainly because you had to get the Comfort package, naviagation and then the ABS. Honda made a terrible mistake by not offering ABS on their standard models. As others have said, you don't need it until you need it.

After doing the cost benefit analysis, I determined that it was not worth it for me. I just have to rely on my own abilities to plan ahead in hopes that ABS would not help me in a split second decision.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
imported post

Which ever year you decide go for the ABS. As others have said it is there when you need it.

In October of last year I took the ERC. (experienced rider course) One of the drills was to approach a yellow line, at a speed of 20MPH, in second gear and lock the brakes both front and rear. All of the bikes slid well past the yellow line, and some even left tire marks on the pavement. My stops(08 Wing ABS) left my rear wheel on the line or just a foot or two past it. On my first run the instructor looked at me, after stopping so quickly and without throwing me forward and said. Is that ABS? I replied yes it is. My next bike will definitely have ABS he stated. Yes to ABS.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

OK. You sold me on the ABS. But the Airbag NO. I was thinking of skipping the ABS in place on CB,Fog Lights and Markland Floor Boards @ the time I buy the Bike. Im leaning toward a 2008 White with ABS. But that 2009 M Blue is some pretty. Both my old Wing and Hog are Blue.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
imported post

As the owner of an 06 with airbag & ABS, I certainly reccomend the ABS. I hope to never try out the airbag, but glad it's there just in case. If you're planning on getting a new Wing this year, you might want to do it sooner, rather than later. Check out the info below. Good luck, & ride safe!

As an adjustment of the value of the dollar versus the yen, most all Honda Powersport products will increase in price effective April 1, 2009. This will apply to any Honda product not already invoiced to the dealer prior to that date. Any product that is ordered and invoiced (shipped) to the dealer before that date will be at the old price. Note this is for all Honda motorcycles, ATV's and scooters but since we're mostly interested in the Gold Wing on this board, here are the price changes (MSRP):

Level 1 will increase from $20,999 to $22.099

Level 2 will increase from $23,299 to $24,499

Level 3 will increase from $24,399 to $25,699

Level 4 will increase from $25,599 to $26,999

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
imported post

meatmanhr,

If I could afford a 2008 or 2009 Goldwing right now, I know exactly what I'd do... wait until the 2010 Goldwing comes out before I make a buying decision!

Why? Most folks believe that 2010 is the year for the Goldwing redesign by mother Honda. If that happens, two new opportunities will present themselves.

First, Honda may hit one out of the park and design something that you just can't live without, and you'll buy the 2010.

Second, if the redesign is NOT your cup of tea, it may well be to many other existing GL1800 owners who just have to have the latest and greatest Goldwing. When that happens, there will be a glut of relatively new GL1800s on the market (or even still on the showroom floor), just ripe for the pickin' by YOU!

Yup... I'm always thinkin' !!!

Good luck whatever you decide. Wish I was you! (Trying too hard to retire in 5 or 6 years to be able to saddle a new Goldwing myself.)

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
imported post

hi,

you have to buy one with ABS. i have a 07 with ABS i had to use it last summer, boy do they work, i would not buy another bike without them. its to bad you have to buy nav pkg. just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,484 Posts
imported post

I see you've said NO to the air bag. Before you say Definitly No,,, Do some research!!

Somewhere on the site is a video of an 1800 hitting the side of a van without and then with an airbag. I've watched it. It was convincing enough to me that if I do buy a new bike,, it'll be a Goldwing with the airbag option!! :coollep::coollep:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.